Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Q time again

Default Q time again

Featured Sponsor

Since its winter and all I need to ask a Q....before I ask it looks like the Atlanta area will get it again this week.....ok heres the question....actually two questions.# 1. Does your company furnish fire retardant jackets?....#2 how many of you guys are required to wear traffic vest while in a bucket like the types that are in the picture below.....notice these guys are not wearing any sleeves......now by this time you thought I just had two questions....lets make it three....now heres the one i may have a problem with.....those with ground to ground protection.....are you going to tell me they make you guys wear sleeves on de-energized wire or even grounded wire.....I can kind of see rubber gloves but sleeves on dead wire seems to be taking it all too far and if you have to wear sleeves on grounded wire ...well its just plain stupiiiiiiid.

Sorry my attendant forgot the link again..........+http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...rre&id=9423560

Saw the vests saw the rubber gloves, didn't see the harness. Other than that everything seems OK, I believe it's all about distance to an energized primary for having sleeves, but again it's all about the rules for the individual Co. The biggest deal is that the supervisor/safety people don't know whats going on so as long as there is a lot of orange cover-up in the air their happy. That last is what I've seen at the local utility where the safety dept is there to punish not train or help the employees.

All of our clothes are FR as well as high vis. We don't have sleeves and have never felt the need for them, but if your rules require them when working energized so be it. As far as wearing them on grounded lines makes no sense to me and should not be working on the line isolated, either live or grounded, just lazy if you don't want to apply grounds.

Umm wearin sleeves in the summer heat izza mankiller n shud be avoided if at all possibleThats the kinda thang makes sumone lose focus an make an uh oh n uh ohs nedda be eliminated at all costs, wearin em on deenergized stuff makes no cents

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
    Saw the vests saw the rubber gloves, didn't see the harness. Other than that everything seems OK, I believe it's all about distance to an energized primary for having sleeves, but again it's all about the rules for the individual Co. The biggest deal is that the supervisor/safety people don't know whats going on so as long as there is a lot of orange cover-up in the air their happy. That last is what I've seen at the local utility where the safety dept is there to punish not train or help the employees.
    Awsome poste Streak...
    awesome.

"Coat em in Rubber". The new Safety...then have the safety men..."Lurk" around, to try to catch any infraction. Like THAT don't increase stress on a crew. I was Always lookin over my shoulder. And THAT was 7 years ago.

It got to the point, we use to call it..."Find the safety guy". right before any job.

We, as linemen, were pretty darn good at it though.
    I even had binoculars in my bucket.

FUNNY AS SIHT!!! Actually Spotted the safety man with my Binocs...the same time he saw me with his!!! We Fcukin waved at each other....and he came over and bought us lunch...YEARS ago.

It's just insane, The "Safety Rules" nowdays...seriously have nothing to do with safety.

It's all "Bullet proofing" for any possible law suite.
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Umm my question iz for the bananna man.... its nearbout over fer munday n wheres my picher of the funnly lookin xfmr nameplate?

Default Ground to Ground Rule

Our Coop has a cradle to cradle rubber glove and sleeve rule. However only applies to poles with energized conductor. Once line is grounded you can take gloves and sleeves off. Once grounds are removed gloves and sleeves go back on.
    Don't know all the details but a Coop in western part of Virginia recently had a contact injury that would have been prevented with cradle to cradle rule. Crew was working old single phase line at 14.4kv that had a transformer they needed to take down off the pole. The bucket had no jib so lineman hung a pulley a few inches above neutral with a collar rope with a line going to capstan winch on back of another truck. Because lineman was setup below the neutral and not in minimum approach distance his rules did not require gloves. After loosening txf bolts he was attempting to work the txf off the bolts while capstan was pulling txf up. The vibration of the pole was sufficient that it broke the post insulator at the top of the pole and the phase wire came down and made contact with lineman's left shoulder, he yelled and dropped in bucket. When crew started to bring bucket down with pedestal controls he yelled he would get himself down and did. Taken to hospital, burn on left shoulder and one finger of left hand, released three hours later. Investigators believe the txf must have come off bolt at roughly the same time he was hit on shoulder and current only had a high resistance path to ground. Could have been much worse, also would have been prevented with wearing gloves. Just might have had "heart failure" when phase hit hardhat and slid onto shoulder. BTW as he was lowering himself to ground the phase finally contacted the neutral and shorted out blowing fuse upline.

Featured Sponsorr

Thats an interesting story Mr.Trasher.I hope the guys recovers well.It reminds me about this old Jy that had to be in his early 60's years ago.This guy wouldnt do much physical work due to his age,but he was in the process of rolling up old wire or something like that when a span of hot pea-vine gave away,the pea-vine was hot and landed on his shoulder while he was on the ground.Lucky for him,the old pea-vine had guards on it so that when the wire fell it just so happened that the guards slipped along the wire and landed on his shoulder.....so who-ever put those guards on the wire saved his life without even thinking what was going to happen.