Thread: Maintenance

Default Maintenance

Featured Sponsor

Just wondering what type of maintenance other power companies do on a regular basis.

We try to maintain the following goals

600 amp overhead switches- once every 5 years jumper out, clean contacts, lubricate, and ensure proper operation.

OCR's every 2 months for number of trips and general condition

Mainline tie point 600 amp switches- visual inspection ever 2-3 months

we have a few other items but I like to know what other companies are doing out there.
    Take only what you earn, give only what you can, learn to respect yourself before you can expect to respect anything or anyone else.

Umm Entergy does sumpin when the equipment no longer works and at the first sign of a potental prollem wth the serviceman he is replaced with anything drawing breath

Blog Entries

Maintenance????? Our maintenance program is pick it up off the ground and put it back up after it burns down.......
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Evidently they are doing it old school in Florida up in the Northeast we do it new school as testified by Orgnizdlbr and since last years merger with N Star it really is circling the bowl. I really think the new business plan for a lot of the utilities is to secretly in vest in home generator companies and reap the profits when everything burns down.

Quote Originally Posted by linemanfrog View Post
    Just wondering what type of maintenance other power companies do on a regular basis.

We try to maintain the following goals

600 amp overhead switches- once every 5 years jumper out, clean contacts, lubricate, and ensure proper operation.

OCR's every 2 months for number of trips and general condition

Mainline tie point 600 amp switches- visual inspection ever 2-3 months

we have a few other items but I like to know what other companies are doing out there.

Frog, we used to call all that "Preventive Maintenance" now it's more like Org explained. Fix it when it breaks. Replace good old parts with new cheaper stuff and pocket the change.

Default Same Here

We've gotten away from Maintenance ... Probably 10 years ago
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

N. Grid likes to replace wire. They are always running new wire! The problem is most of it is put out to bid!
    National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    We've gotten away from Maintenance ... Probably 10 years ago
    A long time ago maintenance was an usual word...now its hard to even find....who would have thought.....the trade has gone from bad to worse.....sure we do maintenance.....when we can round up enough people....when everything has hit the ground its a little too late....sad situation again for the trade!

Default Maint.

Featured Sponsorr

Linemanfrog:
    We don't do the switch maint that you call for, however we read every OCR (they are all vacuum contacts) once a year in the spring. Based on years on the pole, operations in last year or operations since hung we determine the change-out schedule for the next year. Then as shop gets the replacements ready we change them.
    Only other routine maint item we do is infra-red surveys on the hottest and coldest days of the year. I have lost count of the number of hot-line clamps and cutout leads we have spotted on IR survey that were ready to fail. Have several hot-line clamps in a drawer that keep as examples of why we do IR surveys.