Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Feed Through Bushing

Featured Sponsor

Working for a IOU that wants the lineman to change out UG/Padmount TX keeping the feed through energized at the work location. My experience tells me this is not a good practice and is an accident waiting to happen. I've used in the past only on radial feeds that don't have a tie to pickup customers until TX can be replaced. Not saying it's can't be done but I'm not a fan of this practice. Want to know if any of you can share your companies procedure for using Feed Through Bushings? Also if anyone knows of an accident that happened because the crew kept the feed through energized at the work location? Thank and stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ glove View Post
    Working for a IOU that wants the lineman to change out UG/Padmount TX keeping the feed through energized at the work location. My experience tells me this is not a good practice and is an accident waiting to happen. I've used in the past only on radial feeds that don't have a tie to pickup customers until TX can be replaced. Not saying it's can't be done but I'm not a fan of this practice. Want to know if any of you can share your companies procedure for using Feed Through Bushings? Also if anyone knows of an accident that happened because the crew kept the feed through energized at the work location? Thank and stay safe.
    I agree,if it happens to be a radial you dont have the same choice,why wont they /the company take more time and let you guys switch it around,I mean is there a rush?And if there is ...is it worth the outcome of an accident.I will be honest,theres not been many of times when Ive actually used a feed -through...sure some trucks carried 5,6 even 8,but we used them more for a stand off/parking stand....with the other side capped.Now years back we had some type of problem with a 34.5 loop and for some reason it couldnt be switched or something,cant quite remember.I was a young Jy and suggested using a feed through....well that was ok for my bosses so we went with it.I thought I was really bright for coming up with a solution....to make a long story short the feed through worked,but only for a few hours....thats been so long ago that I cant remember why it failed,but it did.All I can add is that they do and can fail,so be safe.

Default It's been done

Like Rep said earlier... Not sure why you would do it on a looped system. Just as easy to close the open point and switch it out.
    On a radial feed, if it can be done safely with sticks I don't see it as a big issue.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

Never did it in Ct. couple of supervisors wanted to try finally convinced them it wasn't worth the chance too many things to go wrong especially with our construction to easy to open the neutral, besides if you plan it right you can change out a pad in 15 or 2o mins tops.

Have done it years ago, can't see any reason why they would want you to do it on a loop, every time I have done it we wrapped the feed-thru in a blanket and changed the pot out, never had any problems but it by no means is the safest way to get the job done on a loop.

Blog Entries

Hey Glove, what company? And no, I wouldn't do it..... Had an elastimold elbow blow up on me years ago, about 3 feet from my face. Ain't no way I'm moving it hot on a feed through anymore.....
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

I would guess the reason for changing out a tub on a radial feed is because it's junk now. so you had one outage down stream before you put the primary in a feed thru for temp repair. The junk tub can be completely disconnected before the new one shows up then sooner or later you will have to remotely fire the new one up from the first tub up stream. How much longer would it take to de-energize from the up stream tub once you get the ok for outages on the affected customers, work as if it were hot at the repair with proper PPE, lift the old , set the new, make the connections, then re-energize from the remote location, give it a soak then come back and check power ok. Changing the tub while the primary is hot can be done but is it necessary to keep the customers in service with shorter outages?, their going to have to reset clocks anyway you do it

Not much loop feed at this place. Also the company doesn't repair bad cable just stand off and close the normal open. Then it's stay this way for months if not years. Also most of their elbows are dead break, which is a problem if your going to attempt to try to use a feed thru. Using it in this configuration would allow to use on an outage but once you restore the customers you'll need to de energize them anyway. Any historical failures any of you can remember? Want to make sure we do what's right for the customer and most importantly our brother lineman. Keep this is in mind. This company has been around 100yrs and is now trying to use feed thru's that have been in the industry for many many years. Tells you something about the progress and system we work with. Appreciate all the responses.

Lets not forget that an elbow is only good for a limited number of operations under load. Do you keep track? Plus you have to kill it to operate non-loadbreak elbows , so what if the power is off for an hour or two? I have done it the past, but avoid it as much as possible.

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Loop feed makes no sense whatsoever. Radial feed, yes it will keep the downstream customers on, but you are going to blink them once you get the new pot online. Really don't see the point. It can be done safely, but don't think what you are accomplishing is worth the hassle. Usually our URD will need elbows changed when the pot goes anyway due to elbow failure, and or transformer internals being stuck in the elbow. URd is for the birds. I hate it, but makes me a lot of $$$.