1. Default Trying to get a union apprenticeship...

Featured Sponsor

Hey! So my goal is to get a union apprenticeship, I've interviewed with NWJATC and MSLCAT, but I'm being told I need to get groundman hours. I've got a union groundman job on a tree trimming service right now which I thought would help with my MSLCAT interview, but they told me to quit this job and get on with a line crew. No problem. My question is, if my goal is to get a union apprenticeship, will it hurt me to take a non union groundman job at this point? I've signed the books at many halls in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, California, and Utah. Should I just keep waiting for a union call to come in or should I get on a non union crew just to get some hours under my belt before I re-interview and hopefully rank higher? Any advice is very appreciated. Thanks!

Go to www.ibew.org/jobsboard and look under groundman/truckdriver classification. Looks like Local 44 in Butte MT and Local 1002 in Tulsa OK may have work, contact info and pay is on the jobsboard as well.
    Living my life and loving it!!!

3. Default

Thanks, tramp67! Got the call from NWJATC, finally on a linecrew.

Quote Originally Posted by tramp67 View Post
    Go to www.ibew.org/jobsboard and look under groundman/truckdriver classification. Looks like Local 44 in Butte MT and Local 1002 in Tulsa OK may have work, contact info and pay is on the jobsboard as well.

4. Default

How about....get a CDL...on your own...Go to work for a Rat Contractor for a year or so? Then the union would suck you up!!! As I've always said...Non Union Contractors, are the "Farm teams"...for union. Only problem is...Nowdays...Union...is suckin hind tit. Nobody wants that siht.
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Default Just stick with it and don't get anxious.

I would stick union. Do a good job and build a good reputation for yourself. You can't be overlooked for so long. It will happen.

i would chose the Northwest because it's exclusive stick above 5 kv. And those are,really good skills to have in the long term.

if you don't have hungry mouths. Grunt. Do what you got to do. High line jobs there are usually opportunity for grunts.

Just get,as much experience as you can and get references. And that's what you need to do for every line of work.

Custer's Last Stand, St. Louis City, Missouri, USA

Quote Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
    You can't be overlooked for so long.
    I can challenge that, read my updated bio. What should be my next move? Chris Hanson

Custer's Last Stand, St. Louis City, Missouri, USA

Featured Sponsorr

We know how this story turned out
    "Liberalism is a mental disorder" quote Michael Savage
    "When you deny a man his livelihood, it becomes personal" quote Chris Hanson