Thread: Rubbers

Default Rubbers

Featured Sponsor

Hey guys, I'm back on this side of the pond working in Haiti. I have been tasked with sorting out rubber goods as well as other tools and equipment. One of my procurements will be rubber gloves. We do ZERO hot work here but we intend to maintain rubbers on the truck for use with switch sticks. System voltage is 23kv grounded Wye with 13.2Kv phase voltage.
    Here is the question.... what class of glove? Class 2 or class 3?

Thanks guys! RWD

Default Not Class 2

Class 2 Gloves are rated at 20kv. We use class 2 on a 13.2 system... 7620 phase to ground
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

Default wondering again

I must wonder ....how many guys are with companies that require gloves when using sticks,switching..ect.Here its not required and you almost never see it,saying that there was 1 time that I used gloves while taking off a hot line clamp off a stirrup cause the primary was biting me...but it was still biting with the gloves on....by the way it was on 34.5 and in the rain....unusual but true.

Florida in the winter Canada in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by RWD View Post
    Hey guys, I'm back on this side of the pond working in Haiti. I have been tasked with sorting out rubber goods as well as other tools and equipment. One of my procurements will be rubber gloves. We do ZERO hot work here but we intend to maintain rubbers on the truck for use with switch sticks. System voltage is 23kv grounded Wye with 13.2Kv phase voltage.
    Here is the question.... what class of glove? Class 2 or class 3?

Thanks guys! RWD
    Class 2 gloves will handle the 13.2 phase to ground as long as there is no multi phase exposure. If you are working 3 phase circuit and could be exposed to 23kv at any time then it is class 3. If the gloves are only used with sticks there is no multi phase exposure. (I don't know why anyone would work sticks with rubber gloves on) Company CYA????

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Class 2 Gloves are rated at 20kv. We use class 2 on a 13.2 system... 7620 phase to ground
    That is a common misconception. Class 2 gloves are tested at 20 kV, but rated for 17kV. It should say that right on the cuff.

Class 00 - Maximum use voltage of 500 volts AC/proof tested to 2500 volts AC
    Class 0 - Maximum use voltage of 1,000 volts AC/proof tested to 5,000 volts AC
    Class 1 - Maximum use voltage of 7,500 volts AC/proof tested to 10,000 volts AC
    Class 2 - Maximum use voltage of 17,000 volts AC/proof tested to 20,000 volts AC
    Class 3 - Maximum use voltage of 26,500 volts AC/proof tested to 30,000 volts AC
    Class 4 - Maximum use voltage of 36,000 volts AC/proof tested to 40,000 volts AC

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by busman View Post
    That is a common misconception. Class 2 gloves are tested at 20 kV, but rated for 17kV. It should say that right on the cuff.

Class 00 - Maximum use voltage of 500 volts AC/proof tested to 2500 volts AC
    Class 0 - Maximum use voltage of 1,000 volts AC/proof tested to 5,000 volts AC
    Class 1 - Maximum use voltage of 7,500 volts AC/proof tested to 10,000 volts AC
    Class 2 - Maximum use voltage of 17,000 volts AC/proof tested to 20,000 volts AC
    Class 3 - Maximum use voltage of 26,500 volts AC/proof tested to 30,000 volts AC
    Class 4 - Maximum use voltage of 36,000 volts AC/proof tested to 40,000 volts AC

Mark
    Thanks for the info !
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

Default Thanks

Featured Sponsorr

I'll go with Class 3 gloves. The gloves with sticks was started before I got here. Neither have been tested/certified. I'll do testing on the sticks and clean them up as some are starting to get dirty. Locals have never been taught to bag sticks. I am buying a lot of stick bags. Supposedly there is a hot stick tester somewhere on site so I can test wet/dry and show them the difference. Again, Thanks! RWD