Default Electric System Operator

Featured Sponsor

I'm back! Not that I'm assuming that anyone cares LOL!
    As some of you know I got injured on the job back in Feb. of 2013--blew out my shoulder and neck--and have been fighting thorough 3 surgery's and trying to return to work.
    After the last surgery---full spinal fusion with plating--I retired my career as a JL. Yeah, still can't say or type that the way I'd like...
    The nerve damage was and is permanent, well in my mind it is they say it could get better in the next 15-20 years but I'm 40ish so I can look forward to not dropping stuff when I retire?
    I want to thank all you guys that have emailed me--it meant...means...a lot.
    Mean while CVEC has kept me hanging on.. in July I started as the Electric System Operator. I mainly do dispatch and SCADA but have other duties as well.
    I would love some feed back from you guys as to what you would like for your dispatchers and ESO's to do when it's your turn to pull call.
    I've been giving my 2 cents but I'd like a bigger picture!

Thanks guys and as always work Safely,

L.A.Martin
    Journeyman Div III
    retired
    E.S.O
    HQ CVEC
    There's no such thing as "The End Of The Line!"

If you think you are worth what you know, you are very wrong. Your knowledge today does not have much value beyond a couple of years. Your value is what you can learn and how easily you can adapt to the changes this profession brings so often. -- Jose M. Aguilar

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LAMartin.CVEC View Post
    I'm back! Not that I'm assuming that anyone cares LOL!
    As some of you know I got injured on the job back in Feb. of 2013--blew out my shoulder and neck--and have been fighting thorough 3 surgery's and trying to return to work.
    After the last surgery---full spinal fusion with plating--I retired my career as a JL. Yeah, still can't say or type that the way I'd like...

L.A.Martin
    Journeyman Div III
    retired
    E.S.O
    HQ CVEC
    Sure sorry to hear that L.A. BUT, so glad to hear that you are coming along, and heading in another direction in our Trade. 3 Surgery's.....God Bless ya man. Good Luck and welcome back!
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Blog Entries

Glad you're on the mend LA! You been through a rough time, hang in there brother!!

Now, as for what I would like to see from my dispatchers.... I'd like to have someone on the on the other end of the phone like you who is a JL and knows exactly what I'm talking about when the SHTF!! You're gonna be a real asset to the guys in the field LA, good for you!
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Glad to hear your getting healed up , Mr Martin. You will be a huge asset to any fella out shooting trouble, you have been there and done that, and will probably know some of the trouble calls better than the guy out chasing them. Since I have been contracting for quite a few years I rarely chase trouble anymore, but having an experienced man dispatching would surely be a huge help!!

Kinda brings to mind a dispatcher I had once and a female one at that uber organized and could mulltitask like no bodys business Never got Rattled like her counterparts and always thinking bout doin things the fastest and easiest way She could keep my location in her mind and during the heat of a storm never once bounced me across town needlesly she knew where I was and gave me all the calls in that area. She caught a lot of flak from her counterparts for clipping cupons out of the sales ads while working and she had them so well organized she could go to the store and come out with several baskets fulla stuff and spend only pocket change Sadly she passed away but she wus the consumate dispatcher in my mind I WISH YOU WELL in your new endeavor

Featured Sponsorr

Good to hear your recovering and have a job where you can use your field knowledge to help the men in the field. Hope your recovery continues. That short description Poot added said a lot about how a System Operator adds value to the position. Understanding what needs to be done and staying one step ahead shows you care. After all, the hardest thing for me as an Operator was to do what was in the field in my head. When I worked in the field I could touch and see what was going on. As A system operator I had to imagine and remember all that. All the maps were flat pieces of paper and the real world was way more than that. Be sure to take advantage of field days where you can stay tuned up on new or added equipment in the field. Be real sharp on your Protective Card Procedure. Understand the orders you give out front to back and Visa versa. Your asking field guys to do things that are supposed to work. When there is doubt stop and regroup, dumb questions are better than dumb mistakes. Good luck. T