1. Default Arizona Public Service (APS) field evalution and interview

Featured Sponsor

I have a field test and interview for the pre-apprentice lineman program coming up in less than a month, and would like to know what to expect from some one who has already gone through it.
    They are hiring quite a few people so I have high hopes. I'm a NLC Grad plus I have experience. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Custer's Last Stand, St. Louis City, Missouri, USA

Hope you get the job and have better luck than I did in St. Louis, MO. 20-30 years ago. CH

3. Default

Field eval was tough and I missed 10 points but I passed and the interview was very easy I might have made one mistake towards the end that could keep me from a perfect score, so I'm pretty excited it was my best interview ever. I will know in a month for sure.

4. Default

I got on with APS as a pre apprentice! I'm super excited the pros of this is that I'll never be laid off and I will rarely or never have to leave Arizona. The cons to this is that they have a 5 year apprenticeship so I won't journey out till the age of 27. I signed the mountain west jatc books and you can journey out in only 4 years with steady work. I just don't want to have to travel around a bunch of states and or have a risk of being laid off. Any advice on how to be a successful pre apprentice lineman. I'm 22 years old with a little education and experience.

Custer's Last Stand, St. Louis City, Missouri, USA

Quote Originally Posted by cbreezy View Post
    I'll never be laid off
    Never say never, it can happen. Around 1999 or 2000 Ameren UE out sourced the entire metering department. At the same time, meter reading was automated, no longer was someone going to each and every address, once a month. Guys with 20-30 years where bumping new hires with less than 5 years, in all departments Congrats on new job

Featured Sponsorr

Focus on doing a good job. From what i hear, you only have 2 years to become an apprentice or else you get washed out/moved to another type of job. I hear their climbing class is pretty good, hopefully you are in good shape. Outside construction apprenticeship would of been good if you wanted to fast track.... but there is nothing wrong with the utility route.