Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I think there is a balancing point in safety.

Featured Sponsor

In our area we have large contractors and small contractors. The better lineman work for the small contractors.

The he small contractors have a lot common sense with safety. The management and the owners are all seasoned lineman and they get the tools and material to complete work. The workers can just worry about completing the job.

then there is the big contractor or utility hovering over men with safety audits, your flags are never where are needed and never enough cones. Your chock blocks are the most essential thing on the job. And your lime vest is mandatory in a bean field.

why are the big multi national contractors will have all the accidents? Because no decent lineman wants the bullshat! The drug addled job scared less skilled hands will work for them. Instead of asking for the proper tool or equipment to do the job safely. They don't want to make waves, they have do more with less. Eventually something happens. Because there heads are filled with all the dumb stuff, that isn't necessary to do the job safely. Their heads are filled with chock blocks cones and rubber trees. And anxious at every sight of a white supervisors truck from their companies or the utilities, screaming where's your chock blocks!! They are having all the accidents! Because every bodies head is filled with dumb stuff and not the necessary.

thats my belief. And I see it's proving true.

Florida in the winter Canada in the summer.

I agree with you. What you just described is the big companies playing cover their ARSSSSS. All done with the help of a college graduate in "SAFETY" that doesn't know what else to look at, and they feel like big stuff to write you up. I used to like free climbing a pole!!

Umm in the corporate werld safety is a catch all for do anything at all programs much like national security is in american politics . If You spin it that way absolutely no one can buck it

The fact that most of the large utilities are no longer run by people with electrical backgrounds more often than not they are bookkeepers that happen to work in the utilities field. Deregulation has pushed these people to the top of what used to be a service oriented business into a for profit at any cost business like walmart and that type of business CEO is just looking at quick profit so they can get a quick boost in their compensation because most of them come with five year contracts so they don't care about the long term consequences of their decisions. The safety attitude of these carpetbagging CEOs like stated above is CYA and make it so nothing can be traced to them and by loading their workforce with layer upon layer of rules and regulations they hobble their workers from providing the service they are supposed to and then they turn around and say that the workers cost to much.

These companies need to start asking themselves how much money has a safety man or safety deparent ever made for them. Zero dollars. Then ask how much the line crews have made for them. Safety departments have turned into safety police. They're more interested in turning guys in to justify their job than correcting a safety issue in the field. I have no use for our safety department and I will shut down our work when they show up and won't start until they leave.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TRAMPLINEMAN View Post
    These companies need to start asking themselves how much money has a safety man or safety deparent ever made for them. Zero dollars. Then ask how much the line crews have made for them. Safety departments have turned into safety police. They're more interested in turning guys in to justify their job than correcting a safety issue in the field. I have no use for our safety department and I will shut down our work when they show up and won't start until they leave.
    Good for you man. Really. However...this "safety" thing, is about like this "racial" thing. You say or, talk differently, about either topic. Your butt is toast man. GOOD on YOU!! "Hay boys! Time for a break. Ya'll come on down for a bit..." Heh, heh, heh.....
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Default Ibew

You all seem to forget who is one of the biggest players at the table when OSHA write new standards. While cone numbers seem trivial, that is just the type of information attorneys can look up to see if something is not compliant. Unfortunately it's not just Safety to deal with, it's also "loss control", just a fact.
    Note to self, just because it pops into my head doesn't mean it should come out of my mouth.

9. Default

REALLY SAD part about that picture is...I saw that, and was passing it around back in the early 90's. AND...It's gotten 10 times worse since then...in Actuality. It's even startin to mess up the unions, that created all this "hyper" safety bull siht in the first place. Put me, in the "fcuk it" club. I survived OSHA, and retired. Matter of fact...O**** is what helped me decide to retire. With Fond memories of...The "linetrade" I was raised in.
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Default There is a balance, follow the rules.

Featured Sponsorr

Has a safety man saved a company money? The answer is Hell Yes if a accident happened, there was a lawsuit, and that safety man hade made sure guys are following rules. When OSHA shows up on a jobsite and there are violations, the guys don't get the fines from OSHA, the company does. If the company disciplines a man for those violations the union files a grievance. At our place you don't have to follow any of the rules, unless you want to work here.
    Note to self, just because it pops into my head doesn't mean it should come out of my mouth.