Thread: Journeyman Card

Default Journeyman Card

Featured Sponsor

Hey guys,
    I'm an Apprentice for a utility company. It's a 5 year apprenticeship through the IBEW. One thing that concerns me is that our union doesn't provide Journeyman cards? Eventually my wife and I plan on moving back home to California. I feel like that might be an issue trying to get in with a utility or the local 47? How would I go about getting my card after I complete my apprenticeship? Appreciate any input I could get. Stay safe

Florida in the winter Canada in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by chongo View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'm an Apprentice for a utility company. It's a 5 year apprenticeship through the IBEW. One thing that concerns me is that our union doesn't provide Journeyman cards? Eventually my wife and I plan on moving back home to California. I feel like that might be an issue trying to get in with a utility or the local 47? How would I go about getting my card after I complete my apprenticeship? Appreciate any input I could get. Stay safe
    Get a traveler from the union hall. That and your receipt of dues paid and it will also have your classification.

Blog Entries

Is your apprenticeship through the utility in conjunction with the IBEW or is your apprenticeship through the hall?

What IBEW local are you in? Is the local an "A" local or a " BA" local?
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

The apprenticeship is through the utility in conjunction with the IBEW. It's with local 1900 in Washington DC. I believe they're an "A" local?

Blog Entries

The apprenticeship is through the utility in conjunction with the IBEW. It's with local 1900 in Washington DC. I believe they're an "A" local?
    Get a traveler like Tramp says. When you're ready, check the books where you'd like to go...... Outside is world apart from what you'll get used to at the utility.

1900, is that PEPCO?
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Right on! I'll definitely keep that in mind. Really appreciate the advice. Yeah, it is PEPCO! Are you familiar with them? I actually really enjoy working there and the guys I work with are great. I just thought it was strange that they didn't give out actual journeyman cards? Glad to know that there are options when and if we decide to eventually move someday

Default Just get an A ticket!

Hey guys,
    Pay an extra 40 a month and keep an A ticket . After you top out and you don't like your situation. You can work construction. I kept my A my whole time. Then you don't have to test or go through hassle if you move. See if your hall can give you an A. There is a benefit somehow in NEBF. Gotta be. If I am wrong tell me. Just a thought. If you can handle 40 dollars a month in extra dues. I think it's something to look into!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
    Pay an extra 40 a month and keep an A ticket . After you top out and you don't like your situation. You can work construction. I kept my A my whole time. Then you don't have to test or go through hassle if you move. See if your hall can give you an A. There is a benefit somehow in NEBF. Gotta be. If I am wrong tell me. Just a thought. If you can handle 40 dollars a month in extra dues. I think it's something to look into!
    can the guy with the ticket cut a transformer 2-wire?..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3RXWC5JeY0

Blog Entries

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
    If his home local is a "BA" local, they can't issue him an "A" ticket. If it's an "A " local, no problem. With an "A" ticket at the utility he would be in the PBF not the NEBF as far as I know.