Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
  1. Default

Featured Sponsor

Of course your right, but typically at least were I am the neutral is floated. You can get caught up and confused by all the theory but keep in mind that a Delta high side is to have a hot phase across each priamary winding (phase to phase voltage) and a wye high side is to have phase to ground voltage across each primary winding by way of a direct or floating neutral. Either way 3phase sec can be produced with only 2phases and a neutral in a wye system or 3 phases in a delta using only two cans.

Unhappy Un believable!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brian931 View Post
    If it is agreed that an anchor has a finite amount of weight that it can hold before it begins to pull, what is the wisdom in using some of its weight retention abilities to simply bend a pole back before conductor weight is even considered? Also by bending a pole I (that is deforming it from its natural state) I believe its ability to carry weight is also also somewhat reduced.
    By the way I am an 18yr lineman in Canada. I have watched guys crank way back on poles with no conductor in place and have always questioned the thinking to that.

Can you guys believe this an 18 year old ape a first stepper!!!!! In stead of learning material and how to frame wants to step up to the plate and dicuss theory with seasoned folks!!! When I was an ape I keep my mouth shut and my lineman took care of me!!! But maybe that is the way they let it get done in the Great North.....Drifter

3. Default

Gosh, this is one hostile DISCUSSION board!
    On the pole raking issue I believe a few agreed that bending poles was a bad idea, and the on the transformer issue wich part did you not agree with? I offered information that was pertinent to the topic "understanding and Open-Delta Bank".
    You are right though, up north I gues we do things different, like respecting others even if we disagree, your a poor representation of a lineman let alone an ape!

Quote Originally Posted by brian931 View Post
    Gosh, this is one hostile DISCUSSION board!
    On the pole raking issue I believe a few agreed that bending poles was a bad idea, and the on the transformer issue wich part did you not agree with? I offered information that was pertinent to the topic "understanding and Open-Delta Bank".
    You are right though, up north I gues we do things different, like respecting others even if we disagree, your a poor representation of a lineman let alone an ape!

What a fowl mouth piece of sh*t!!!! Brian931, you need to learn how to walk the walk before you talk the talk!!!!!You are an 18 year old puke that has so much knowledge of linework, there is no way you should be even be thinking about working transformers, yet be talking about them. Tell us about you're experiences in linework, so we all can have a good laugh!!! The 18 year old prodigy of the Great and Free North!! Our Apes do know their place and do get a little respect, but with the attitude you got Brian, I would not share any of my knowledge with you!!!!!!! Drifter

I like a good fight but I believe he said he's been journeyed out for 18 years. Something to keep in mind when building an open delta bank is possibly closing it in the future while its energized. Using A and C phase may seem ok at the time but someone might cuss you later. Meat.

Meat man, them damn pots don't care what phase they're hooked to.

Door, you're right. Of course those pots don't care what phases feed them as long as the voltage is right. But, I have to agree with Meat about thinking about the next guy.

I like to mess with him.

And like mama always said "beware of backfeed adding that third pot Meat".

10. Default open delta

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Trampbag View Post
    Open Delta is a 3 phase transformer bank using 2 transformers. In essence one side of the secondary Delta is physically missing, however an electrical measurement is still possible across the missing side and so it is 3 phase. It will phase in with a closed delta bank. It is not as efficient as a 3 transformer bank, but saves one transformer. It also can save one conductor on the primary, whether using Wye or Delta primary, which can be a great savings as well. A lighting connection can be used in an open Delta bank. An open Delta connection can be used in an emergency when one transformer of three in a Delta bank is inoperable or burnt out.

No such hook up in a Y secondary is possible, always use three transformers.

You are correct, but dont forget that if you go from 3 transformers to 2 the wild leg will change positions!!!!! The same reason that you should float the H2's so the load will shut down!!!!