Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Trbl639 View Post
    Had to remember where you were if one went south and the rabbit in ya came out
    Surely a little fire at the end of a extendo or switch stick wouldnt scare ya off the roof would it? lol

Default CSP's

Using a CSP in a Delta secondary bank isn't good. If a CSP is the lighting pot, and the secondary breaker trips, it will act like an open neutral. Seen it happen once.

Worked on a property once where they seemed to use CSP's routinely in small open/delta banks. I thought it dumb. However they did have sense enough to mount an arm below the primary arm and put horizonally mounted pins to tie the stinger jumpers onto. That way if you forgot to trip off the breaker, or it didn't work, you could lift off the hotclamp and release the dangling jumper without it getting into anything if it were backfeeding. Other than that I thought it was a dumb setup.

Worked on another property once where a lot of open wire secondary was paralled via Johnny balls and secondary fuses. They referred to it as a grid system I think. A lot of single phase and 208 banks paralleled this way. Supposed to reduce flicker and better reliability. I think they finally quit it. Had to keep cut in when messing with their banks. Swimp would probably gotten toasted working there. It was mostly 12470/7200, so he could have gloved it from the pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Special ED View Post
    Surely a little fire at the end of a extendo or switch stick wouldnt scare ya off the roof would it? lol
    Not so much a little fire at the switch......when on the roof, you were level with the platform.........saw the top come off of one and it went up in the primary and it was a nice little fire!!!
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often

Door.............

In the late 80's or early 90's, the company was sending old pots out to a contractor to re-build em....started having lots of problems...some in a bank.....the Re-builder was taking the CSP Handle off, welding a plate over the hole,...but leaving the secondary breaker in It would make ya scratch your head !!!

what you were talking about...the Grid system....was what we called Network......it worked good, but you had to be careful working the secondary hot, cause if you built a fire, it was a big one.........sometimes a 30 minute job to hook up a new service took a lot longer, opening up the limiters to isolate the one bank or secondary pole you were working.....but we got paid by the hour
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often

5. Default

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.c...=296620&page=1

Please see the post here under my "Lowend15" handle. I uploaded the PDF that explains graphically how the Open Wye Open Delta works. I haven't read through all the replies, but I'm sure it was explained textually. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

A utility I used to work for used this connection exclusively in their substations for station service, and I felt I needed to understand it for myself. As I have read, unless you draw this you'll never understand it, at least not to a point you can teach somebody else how it works! I drew this up a while back, and feel, in light of how much I have learned through volunteers on the internet, it was time to give back a little . Hopefully this helps somebody that may do a search for this.

I am an engineer, and want to thank you guys for what you do. We all have our places, but I've always been of the mindset to always value everybody and listen to the guys in the field. I think some of the biggest hurdles to great work is condescending attitude from a desk engineer. I've always taken time to listen to the field guys on whether it is a better way to run conduit, how to form up foundations, why what I drew was stupid , etc. So there are a few good engineers out there haha.

Default Hey Lowend.

Featured Sponsorr

Appreciate having an Engineer to peruse these pages. Look at the thread on Capacitors by RCDALLAS and give us your input there if you don't mind. Thanks.