Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Featured Sponsor

I have thought this union-non union bullshit over in my head many times.
    Not superior, maybe smarter. I will argue that in some cases.
    Got both sides to work with, union supports their members no matter what maybe before you support your own make sure they did not cause the problem, all you do there is make them think they are superior no matter what. Getting tired of the whining around the shop, if it is that bad a place to work get the hell out and leave the ones alone that are doing their job safely and enjoy coming to work.
    Open mouth insert foot, you said you would support them no matter what. Think about that, a union member does not follow safety rules you just said you were going to support them. That is wrong.
    I could ramble on and on, but basically no matter what member or not if you screw up you deserve the punishment.

I say we find the guy that spit on you and take him out behind the lugger.
    What i would want to do is show you why being union is better for all of us in this trade rather than spit on you and have no chance of bringing you into the brotherhood.
    I have never been on the picket line but when we pull up on a job sight that is being picketed we turn around and leave and the business gets no power from the union boys.
    Our company has sent management out to cross the line and do my work thouugh, pretty funny to watch that try to get done.
    And they have also tried to send us out there on a day when the job sight was closed such as on the weekend but that does'nt work to well when you get the picketers numbers and tell them that you are scheduled to come to the job sight.Then they get there and set up at the entrance before you arrive and nothing gets done again for the day.
    Sorry about the guy spitting on you dude just do me a favor and dont judge the whole brotherhood by that guy.
    Stay safe.

lineman-up Guest

Default i dont hold the entire union resposible for 1 idiot!!

i have stated many times that i wish i were union and i definetly understand the benefits of the union. unfortunately because of dipshits like the spitter, many of the guys i work have a bitter taste about unions and wil not hear of joining even though we are at about 2/3 of union scale right now.

"You would also come to understand that non union guys actually drive the wage rate down."

if ya actually think about it why would someone not want higher wages? the correct answer is that something has happened so they would rather take a lesser wage than be associtated with any group even if they are "smarter". i guess this is all in how you look at it i understand both sides of the fence. i would try to organize my utility except it is full of union haters!! i have never looked down my nose at union guys, i judge a lineman by his ability and personality not the card in his pocket. so in my opinion that may not make me as smart but twice the man you are!!!!!!!

Ok I was purposefully very careful not to brag or bash.Reason for that is I'd rather have you as a brother in the union.than workin Rat and hurting us all.But your a better man than i am because you judge others????? I dont think so.....
    Every man in this or any other trade is working for one reason.. he needs the money!And every one of us will sooner or later hafta retire and live on what we have managed to save or our pensions. Now ask yourself if that contractor that pays you 2/3 union scale is gonna contribute to that. Od Maybe ask yourself about medical benefits who pays for em? And if you do ( even if its only a portion)Dont you think its reasonable to assume that better coverage for less money would be available to a much larger group such as the IBEW? I mean even with as many rat contractors as there are they havent formed an alliance to bargain for your benefits.Each and ever one of bargain seperately.
    I am truely sorry that you have such a hatred for unions and the men that need em to enjoy a better standard of living.
    '

lineman-up Guest

Default poot

first off i work for a utility.( in other words i am a state employee, as dumb as it sounds) now i think you have taken it out of context. i am not a union hater!!!!!!! i understand the training difference between union and non-union. if you are non-union you have to a appreniceship on your own. such as i have with no finacial benefit to myself, i have also learned how to do metering because of the fact that noone else knows any of the basics of electricty. most of the lineman i work with started on the garbage truck or worked on cable tv. i do not know how this qualifies them to be lineman but some how the utility allows them to do it. i just get frustrated by being cut down constantly by union guys. i have worked very hard to not be a non-union, non-trained lineman. putting all non-union workers in one category is the same as putting all union workers in the same category.

secon: no i dont pay anything for health insurance, i get three weeks of vacation a year, twelve sick days, thirteen paid holidays and one floating holiday. we can also borrow any of the equipment from the shop or use the shop on the weekends to work on our own stuff. my hours are 7am to 3:30 pm. i take call every three weeks for 24 hours of overtime, all call ins are 2 hour minimum at time and a half. if it rains we stay inside, if it is cold we stay inside. it is not a bad job the wages are just not there. it is putting my girlfriend through college and has bought me a nice house on some acreage. so poot i understand your point, i would love to be union because of the nut busting that union guys have done the the non-union guys i work with it wont happen for a few years. but i know that i know my shit regardless of where i work, i am sure you would like having me on your crew and any other guy that actully went to line school and could climb a pole with me would be a step up from what i have now!!! i am not a union hater i just wont be looked down on because i cant be union!!!

Linemanup............. trust me I never intended to look down on you.I am merely preaching the benefits of being union and the consequences of not being.As a union lineman you have acess to much better training and the guys from a garbage truck kinda fall by the wayside if they aint got the makins of a lineman, and if they do then they will also benefit from superior training .Linework aint fer everbody it kinda takes a calling.But when you can say yer a journeyman trained by the IBEW you can run with the big dogs no matter where you go.

Oregon Lineman Guest

Default non-union workforce

Sometime guys will tell people they do not like unions because of something that a union member has done to them. This does happen. But having worked both side I found that most anti-union guys do not like them because they cannot see the reason for supportting others, cannot see the good of the whole unit or spend the money for dues. Now there are lots of union guys that way also, but I seen more on the non-union side. Hell I have been burned by the unioin as bad as the non-union employer. Thats what I get for trying to organize for the union at one time, but I still prefer the union side. At least with the contract they just cannot change thing on a whim. Some employer that are non-union will match or maybe even do a little better on things just to keep the union out. Then management changes and it can be gone. Work safe and keep the brotherhood strong

lineman-up Guest

Default smarter?

Quote Originally Posted by nate42 View Post
    union workers are superior to non-union workers because of the training we receive. now i am not saying that non union workers don’t work hard and that there are not good non union lineman, but for the most part union workers are smarter and much better trained. also union companies have better tools and equipment.

nate42: yea you sound a hell of a lot smarter, looks like a 12 year old wrote that post. if i wasnt having a constructive conversation with poot i would tear into you but he has already apologized for idiots like you in the union!!!!

any how poot, i would beg to differ on the ibew journeyman running with the big dogs anywhere. a couple of years ago we had a union contractor in here to do some work i was in charge of them and was working hand in hand with them and frankly enjoying working with some good lineman and apprentices. at one point we were on break and this fata$$ that looked like he ate the big dog began giving me crap about being a rat, so i loudly and very closely informed him that this was not a union jobsite and that we were paying his check, i even offerd to help him leave by kicking him in the balls until he was clear of the property line. once the foreman had pulled him aside and told him to shut his mouth i found out he was a journeyman lineman that barely does any line-work( he is to fat to get in the bucket) i am not tearing the union down just trying to give a little reality check, there are just as many dumbasses in the union as ther are non-union. (nate42 for example, just smart enough to not drool on himself)

oregon lineman i have stated many times i want to be union, my only argument is that that union card doesnt make you a better lineman than me. i will grab a set of hooks and go to work with any lineman and hold my own!!!! i am not as good as some but still better than most!!
    Last edited by lineman-up; 10-10-2007 at 03:39 PM.

lineman-up Guest

Default smarter

i have been thinking about this all day. and just keep getting more pissed. nate42: what kind of education do you have that makes you so much smarter i hope it aint that union card?

i have a two year aas degree in powerline technology (3.8 gpa)
    i have completed a mrea 4-year apprenticship resulting in a "journeyman card"
    it does happen to be the same as many of your union brothers here in minnesota
    i go to hotline school twice a year , for three days to learn new ways and to shoot the shit with other lineman

i am a member of the upper midwest metering association

i am just curious what makes you so fu##king smart i hope your not going to say that union card or i bet the rest of your brothers will want to choke you for making them look stupid too

by the way i have top of the line tools right down to the 15000$ laptop with gps and the gis map of all utilties in the city i work for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anythig else or can i carry on my intelligent conversation with poot

Blog Entries

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by lineman-up View Post
    i have been thinking about this all day. and just keep getting more pissed. nate42: what kind of education do you have that makes you so much smarter i hope it aint that union card?

i have a two year aas degree in powerline technology (3.8 gpa)
    i have completed a mrea 4-year apprenticship resulting in a "journeyman card"
    it does happen to be the same as many of your union brothers here in minnesota
    i go to hotline school twice a year , for three days to learn new ways and to shoot the shit with other lineman

i am a member of the upper midwest metering association

i am just curious what makes you so fu##king smart i hope your not going to say that union card or i bet the rest of your brothers will want to choke you for making them look stupid too

by the way i have top of the line tools right down to the 15000$ laptop with gps and the gis map of all utilties in the city i work for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anythig else or can i carry on my intelligent conversation with poot
    LU, dont lose your cool over what people can annonomously post here, it aint worth it. I am a 35 years IBEW member, suffice it to say, I wish you were an IBEW member also. You have a passion for the trade, and as an individual, you would be a great addition to an IBEW local union......
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt