Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default I ve told this story before

Featured Sponsor

it is called gunshots and cops ,,a while back ,,in the getto,,,here in dayton ohio ,,we came under attack,,buy thugs shooting guns at us because thier lights were out ,,we were working with contractors ,,,,we called the cops ,,and they wouldent come ,,we called our supers and they said ,,jacks up and get out,,,we ended up abandoning a very expensive underground rigg,, and told the contractors to get out too,,,the leader linmane of the contractors said to me ,,,we cant leave you here alone,,,,with that said ,,,it said it all to me ,,,we are what we are ,,,,,,,,,,,,,lineman,,,,scammy

lineman-up Guest

Default a lineman is a lineman, period

well stated scammy, thanks

Oregon Lineman Guest

Default Non-union Workforce

To Linemanup I have read my post a couple times and I cannot find anything or anywhere I said that Union lineman are better than Non-union Lineman. If you read it and understood what I was trying to say is there is good and bad on both side. I just prefer working the Union Side. Please do not put word down that I did not say. Thank you

phillip63 Guest

Default UNION Vs NON-UNION

I know for a fact that there is is misinformation on both sides, on the hurricanes in Florida, i seen pleanty of union hands say to hell with and screw the scabs , it just showed there ignorance, they do not know the meaning of those words,and were street light lineman out of LU 9 in Chicago,
    dont even know what it takes to be linemen, i know plenty of hands on both sides and at both ends of the skill spectrum, i wish somebody real had set me down and told me what the UNION was about ten years ago
    it's not what we know but how we treat the other person would you want to be around someone that thinks youre a piece of shit?, i think not.
    if we want to increase our UNION presance we have to win there hearts and minds.

lineman-up Guest

Default ta-daaaaaa!!!!

right on the nutz phillip63. i wish it could start with the guys i work with(notice i didnt call them lineman, that would command my respect) so i could enjoy the benefits and pride involved in being union!!

Cool worked both sides of the fence

I started linework in FL with prick(pike) electric. new trucks tools on every truck. worked for red simpson mastec and ulcs along the way. Didn't have issues with equipment or tools until I joined the the Union (222). Have worked for Bsj in Fl. Decided that I had to leave Fl. The 222 contract put us $4 less than I was making at ULCS. Currently working in Gary,IN with H&M. Still deal with the BS with equipment and tools, however the quality of my personal life has never been better. I would rather work with shit and enjoy my time off than have immaculate equipment and not enjoy my life. One thing most of the non-union lineman don't realize is we bargained as a group most of the time. When prick electric bought Red Simpson, those of us that did not want to work for pike told the area supv we were leaving. The pay went from $22 to$24 overnight. 1 week later we talked to Mastec and they raised their wages to $24, paid 200/wk per diem and paid for the hotels. Unless you work alone there is always some collective bargaining going on. Why not be part of a huge group that knows how to instead of in little chunks that the companies can easily live without

billfoster67 Guest

Default Its not about capability- its about being human and having rights.

Featured Sponsorr

Non union what are your rights. I went to the NLRB, they don't service you- you have to be a discriminated ethnic group to file a complaint. Your state boards of labor don't give a crap about you. You have nothing. What happens when your rotator cuff is ripped or you wake up and crawl in the morning to take a piss, you ll have nothing but a lot of forms. I ll have some buds that drop an envelope off full of cash, to give me some time to heal up. Like I have done to others.

I am union, and some halls are just fricking employment agencies, and I know the bad part of the country. And I will keep and dispatch info of piss poor halls to others to warn them, you might as well be applying at Snelling and Snelling.

But if you read our constitution, our history... you will understand why bering union is a lot better than being non union. Union and the locals are not perfect by a long shot. But if you have a president and manager that has read his own by-laws, read his own constitution, knows his jurisdiction... very few know- and its sad. But the ones, business managers, that don't have a complex and love their members. Which I have met many are worth their weight in Gold. You'll have great working conditions, enforced by a hands on e-board. Great meetings. And a great area.

I have been to a lot of union meetings. If you have a chance to go to one, someday go to LU 71 or 53 in KC. When I go to those meetings I get shivers seeing the place packed, and having real issues resolved, knowing if your buddy got hurt, and passing the hat.

You guys that are non union will never know that feeling. Yeah the crew can click and the work will get done, but when you are on the down and out, your back is killing you and you need to heel, its great having a thousand friends than a few.