robnitro Guest

Default Question about ConEd

Featured Sponsor

Hi,

Anyone here know anything about ConEd:

Are they a good company to work for?

How are the working conditions?

Is their union strong? (Utility Workers 1-2)

Are the benefits good, even comparable to the munis?

Thanks,
    Robert

robnitro Guest

Any ideas/comments?

I'm currently an electric station operator (substation operator) at LA DWP. Great job, but my family and best buds are out east, and I grew up out there so theres a reason for me to go back even though LADWP is a great job.

old horseman Guest

Default What JOB & where?

Done some storm work for con ed. worked in Westchester county rebuilding overhead for them. Good guys but there safety policey makes me wonder. they talk the talk but they didn't walk the walk. Fired a coulpe feeders up without checking down the line. Could have hurt some folks.. But that was storm work. I don't know how they work day to day. Also worked for them in Queens this summer splicing underground Secondary they don't use meters they use test lamps. I'm not dogging them just stating facts. The guys from con ed were awsome with their tools but were lost with the meters we used. Bennies etc. couldn't tell you. But they treated us just fine.

robnitro Guest

Featured Sponsorr

The Bronx, gas operations to start with, but I'd like to deal with substations- relay testing.

Thanks... out here they only let the substation operators fire up the feeders from the feeder position at the substation- no patrolmen or load dispatchers can do it. But then, its an old system, so they need operators to be around to be aware of the peculiarities.

At Con Ed they offered me a technician position, so I'd be working with testing, relays, corrosion protection. A change from what I am doing now. But then, I would like to get into protective systems testing, relays, sensors, etc.