Big A Guest

Default I got a question for the union guys

Featured Sponsor

I don't know anything about a union,but I'm thinking about applying for a job that has the union working for them.I have been told ,by people who don't like the union,that if I get the job as a lineman and later on if someone with more seniority than me wants my job he can "roll" me.Is this true?

Thumbs up questions

it all depends on where you go to work. if you work at a utility and get hired and your junior man in the yard, if a senior man gets his job taken out due to some sort of downsizing,yes, you will be rolled,not saying you'll be let go,but you may have to report to another yard or some such. if you hired on as a lineman,you can NEVER be downgraded unless your work is so piss poor that you should not have been hired in the first place. as far as the outside construction goes,senority means shit as far as rolling someone,when layoffs come around,eveyones names are in the pot. you just go to the hall,sign the book, and wait your turn.or if you feel the need for some space,hit the road to wherever you want to go,call ahead and see if their hiring,hit the hall,sign the book,go to work.anywhere you want.ask the tramps.it all boils down to what YOU want. but we're always glad to take in a good hand.hope this helps.

Big A Guest

Yes I was talking about GPC,does anyone on here work for them? Do you like it,I mean is it a good company?

dwalla-walla Guest

Default Getting rolled

Hey there. Been reading a fews years and decided to finally sign up. I work at GPC. One way new lineman that get hired from other places can be rolled comes from a rule in our Lineman Development Program. It states that if when an apprentice graduates and doesn't win his bid for a lineman job at the location he made apprentice, then he can exercise his senority over anyone his has time on. Usually new lineman off the street. So in a nutshell, a new kid can hire on today as a first step apprentice and you hire on tomorrow as a lineman. 4 1/2 to 5 years later when he graduates he can roll you if he doesn't win his bid because he has one day of section time on you. It sounds shitty but it depends on what side of the fence you are on. When I was about to graduate GPC started hiring lineman off the street for the first time. These new guys started filling vacancies that were kind of waiting for us new guys to fill when we graduated. It was looking like I was going to have to move or drive a long distance to work and wait for an available slot to get home. Meanwhile, lineman from Anywhere, USA gets to work pretty much where ever ther is a hole which might be my home town. It never happened to me. I got the lineman job where I wanted to be but I have seen it happen to some new guys off the street where I work. Bad thing is that for the first 4 1/2 to 5 years they work here it can happen to them. They pretty much have to wait that long for any new people that hired on before them to make lineman so they won't have that many people to exercise their right of senority in the scenario I explained above.

Big A Guest

Thanks, that answered my question.I could not get an answer for anyone else.I have put in my application though,after 9 years at a REA I'm ready for a change.I just hope the grass is as green as it looks.

dwalla-walla Guest

Default Staying home

Hey Big A, if you live in the Metro Atlanta area then there is a big big chance you won't get rolled. If you do then there is a big big chance you can still stay close to the house because there is a lot of vacancies in the Metro area. Also, there are alot of hq's so close together up there.

Big A Guest

Featured Sponsorr

dwalla-walla, I'm about 45 minutes east of Atlanta,I am going to try to get on at Athens. The website says they're hiring at "any" site.Do you work around here?Or are you down south?