Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post It's Time to UNITE !

Featured Sponsor

The time has come for all construction lineman (non-union & union) to unite as one. Enough of the name calling and fighting. Let us open up a era of communication and new found respect among the more than 30,000 Americans that build and maintain our nations power grids. Can you imagine all lineman working toward the common goals of a safe work envirnoment, good wages and benefits that allow for all of us to provide for our families and to retire with decency when the time comes. An impossible dream? An endeavor to difficult to achieve? I don't know, but I sure would like to see us give it a shot!

wudwoker51, Brother Henry Miller had that dream too. I've seen these guys that challenge the test.( We call them test tube linemen) The problem that I see is that they keep their wormy ways. What I fear the most is that they are going to hurt or kill one of our apprentices. They know how to really nut hug, which is making tramping harder. My Brothers and I have been choosing to work the same jobs so that we can keep some conditions and not break that jurisdictions labor agreement. I keep preaching to any apprentice that they have the right to know where any jorneyman apprenticed. To me it is about the brotherhood and that is something that you are not given when you join the IBEW, you earn it.

Thumbs up

Highplains Drifter, Maybe we need some modern day Henry Miller's to step to the plate. A tramp lineman started the Brotherhood but now the electricians and power company workers have control. It is my understanding that line construction is now split 50/50 (non-union/union). We must find a way to reach out to the unorganized and treat them with the respect that all construction lineman deserve. Linework has never been a country club, if you could do the work the door has always been open for you to join us. If you needed some help, it would be given. That was Henry's way, somehow someway we must recapture his spirit.
    " When character is lost, all is lost "

42linehand Guest

Default Ibew ?????

I will agree with everything said. It is getting really hard being a lineman in the IBEW. We started this union and now we have no Lineman in office. So now that all of the inside guys "narrowbacks" are running the show it seems like they are forgetting about the lineman and taking care of their own. They are taking work from us and giving it to them. I have read threads on lineman leaving the IBEW but I don't know if that is possible. If we cant do that we need to put someone in office.

Thumbs up

42Linehand, Construction lineman make-up about 2% of the total membership so we will never be in control, it's politically impossible. To the credit of the current leadership though, 3 lineman now sit on the IEC including the chairman. As far as work raiding it continues to be a problem everywhere, I guess it's easier to raid work than to organize. Never was much of a problem when you had to climb most of the time and the majority of jobs involved hot work. It's up to us to guard our jurisdictions and to make sure that the sacrifices of those who are responsible for the livelihoods we enjoy today are not forgotten.
    Last edited by wudwoker51; 02-26-2007 at 12:12 PM. Reason: CORRECTION
    " When character is lost, all is lost "

It is the stated goal of the IBEW to organize and represent every electrical worker in the country. There's lots of work out there, and not enough people to do all of it. Non-union linemen are welcome to go to the local union hall and, if they have the required years training and experience, are eligible to take the IBEW journeyman's test. If they don't meet the criteria, or are unable to pass the test, many locals will work to get those people into the apprenticeship program at a level that the Union feels they are qualified to be at. I've worked alongside many great journeymen, Union and non-union, and also worked around some really bad ones, again both Union and non-union. I feel that Union is the only way to go, because of work conditions, collective bargaining, representation towards management, wages, benefits, the list goes on....
    How often does the upper management of Pike Electric sit down with their linemen to discuss and negotiate pay increases, retirement, health insurance benefits, etc.? My guess is that they probably look at what the Union contracts are, and adjust their package to stay close enough that they don't have too many linemen jump ship.
    Living my life and loving it!!!

7. Default wages and benies in the west

Im a 6th step app finished with my books and waiting to test. Im young but ready to start a family with my wife. after a recent jatc transfer I fell under a differant contract. and the wage that is considerably less than what I was making. no problem till I started thinkin about buyin a house. After I started talking with a loan officer was when I realized that I could afford a little less than a single wide. I love my job and couldn't imagine doing anything else but in MT $180,000 can't buy you a leaning shed with a leaking roof. journeyman wage is currently 29.61. any of you guys want to let a brother know what other local's are making wages, benies, and that all important OT fill me in I would appreciate it. hopefully Contractors here in MT will think about negotiating and increasing wages and benies to keep thier young hands. otherwise its a little packin and a lot of draggin

Default wages

Washington State: $32.64 hr, dubble time for OT, two hr min. for callouts, med. dental, retairment. Vacation, comptime, 11 payed holidays a year.

http://www.nwppa.org/web/jobs/Linecrew1.shtml Check out this linecrew job page from nwppa.org

9. Default unite

Im a little to far along to lose ground in my apprenticeship, just curious about my options when I do top out. when it comes down to it I dont want to leave just want to know that there is more out there close to home. If I have to leave an area to help increase wages ( supply and demand) so be it. I often hear that nobody is in it for the money but we don't donate our time either. we are the supply and for anyone who hasent noticed good lineman are hard to come by it seems like we need a little more than a cost of living increase!

Irishup Guest

Default Wages

Featured Sponsorr

In the north-east, wages are $32.00 for a journeyman, 12 paid holidays, med/den. Just a word of warning, it is now a requirement when you are hired that you already walk on water, it seems they having a problem teaching that to the rest of us