Threaded View

Exclamation Equal Potential Grounding Practices

I just read an article in "Incident Prevention" magazine about equal potential grounding. It stated that AEP has changed the method for creating an equal potential zone (EPZ). Apparently they did some testing and found that the pole band or cluster bar does not energize the heartwood of the pole where a workers gaffs penetrate, and thus does not actually protect the worker adequately. They recommeded to place a pole bond that extends down a min. of 10 ft from the neutral (full length pole bond prefered from top of pole to a driven ground rod) and connect it to the system neutral, staples should be a max of 18 inches apart and firmly driven into the pole. I spoke with a AEP rep and they verified the testing methods they used and solutions they came up with to correct the problem. They no longer require the use of the pole band or cluster but do require what is stated above. Other than the cluster mount the grounds should still be installed nueutral first then to each phase.

What are your company standards on this subject? I also heard GA Power has changed to this standard as well along with others. Any information we can share with each other will go a long way.