Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thumbs up Pole Cluster vs Stapels (Repairing Pole Grd)

Featured Sponsor

Ok Guys here's some straight skinny - Think with me on this one.

1. What linemans gaffs penetrate the pole into the hardwood - none right.
    2. AEP & GP have both conducted test GP's test was at 480 volts

Ask these people what the numbers were if you repair the pole ground (staple it down) AND USE THE POLE GROUNDING CLUSTER

Prudent workers will do both. AEP's testing shows that if we repair the pole ground we improve safety & if we use both then we get the best of both worlds - Think about it - It's your life not some engineer's who has never climbed a single pole.

Do'em both and go home safely tonight!

Default Greetings from the stone age

Here in the 1950's we still bracket ground on distribution. We are only required to use a pole band and EPZ on transmission. Our engineers actually told us that the neutral bracket acted in the same way a pole band did. They didn't have an answer for me when I asked what happens when the neutral is above where you could possibly put your feet. Silence and a blank stare followed that question. We get that a lot from engineering. It is a good idea to ground digger trucks, as for grounding bucket trucks, that is a crappy idea why would you want ground the chassis of a truck with an insulated boom. If you need to do that and expose your ground crews to an additional hazards you have bigger problems with your work practices than can be discussed here. I knew one of the guys who was killed in the Transmission accident on Grids property. He was a good lineman who was killed by a shitty operator. Wear your rubber gloves, put on pole guards, keep you body clear of the pole, keep clear of the truck. Most importantly have a plan, and if you change it in the middle, make sure everyone knows what the change is. Work safe.
    Last edited by mainline; 04-01-2008 at 07:22 PM. Reason: I omitted something

Default I am lucky, I am retired.

I am alive. I will live for a few years longer maybe. The rest of you SOB's are gonna die of "FEAR OF EPZ!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!! Don't worry, Swamp Rat and I and that one other retired guy will manage to get the lights back on.

I think cigarettes,bad whiskey and wild women have been the death of more linemen than anything.

If we don't get this EPZ crap settled we're gonna have to shut down the grid. Wait. Call GW Bush. We can probably get a bunch of illegals to put everything back up.

Oh Hell. He's got that damn fence they're gonna have to contend with. Maybe they can get around the virtual part of it okay.

Featured Sponsorr

We also use a pole band, as well as a hubbard clamp on the neutral for all tangent and small corner poles. As far as grounding trucks if we are working on a de-energized line we will ground an rbd if we are sticking the steel in the air, but not bucket trucks. If you do not ground your rbd and stick it in the air it would be at a different potential if something happened.
    Last edited by lewy; 01-10-2016 at 04:03 PM.