Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Union Contractor Vs Local Utility

Featured Sponsor

Who is better to work for and why? Is there a big pay difference? Where do you gain the most experience? I'm interested in getting into linework and would like to know what you think. I don't mind travelling and would like to get quality training and experience on all kinds of equipment. thanks

I used to think working for a local utility was the only way to go, we had the best training the best equipment and were generally paid better.We had the union behind us and our benifits were fantastic. Times have changed I'm afraid. Maybe de-regulation had something to do with it, I don't know. It seams the local utilities decided having there own crews drove up labor costs and began cutting back years ago. Most major rebuilds and large projects are contracted out now. It almost seams that upper management could care less about its own people. They worry more about paying fatigue time and meals than reducing outage durations. I've talked with plenty of contract Lineman from Hawkeye and they all say they would never work for a utility like ours. the pay is less and the benifits suck they say. The only time we seam to be appreciated is when a major storm blows through and even then they can't wait to declare the storm over and send us home even though the contractors are still putting up services. As far as training goes I think the utility still has a slight edge over contractors. We've all read the accidents involving apprentices working for contractors. Maybe they push the apps through too fast to " Git er done" mentality. One lineman from hawkeye I talked to last year said he made over $150,000 and could've made more if it were'nt for hunting season. He seamed a little happier too. At least working for a local utility gives you more time to spend with your family. If I was young again and did'nt have a family maybe I would've become a tramp lineman. Good luck to you in whatever path you choose and work safe my friend.

Wink rustey,

If you dont mind traveling, get on with a construction contractor.

You will get experience alot of aspects of linework.

Just do this with the attitude that you are paying dues, learning everything you can. Keep in mind that your ultimate goal is to find a place you love and return there when you are ready to put down roots and get on with the local utility.

People who spend their entire carereers at a utility or rea, while they may be excellent linemen, are somwhat limited in work method and terminoligy.

As a contractor, you will learn several methods of how to accomplish any task. You will generally be more poorly equiped than your rea and utility counterparts, and will be better able to improvise.

Good luck!

Post General Observations

The whole travelling issue has already been mentioned. As for pay I've seen high paying contractors and low paying municipals and the exact reverse. It's all a matter of can the company find people for what it is willing to pay.
    To me the biggest difference between the two is amount and type of training. Contractors are usually set-up and trained for the major jobs, either long new lines or major rebuilds. Often very little first-aid, CPR, or pole-top rescue training. Also most contractors push the apprentices thru as fast as possible, often too fast.
    Utility in-house crews on the other hand are usually set-up to whip thru small (1-3 span) jobs and to do trouble-shooting. Especially the oddball troubleshooting with floating voltages, blinks, radio interference, hot-spots, etc. Utility crews also normally have better after the accident training (CPR, poletop rescue) and at least in the past had quicker reaction times to bring in more help. Also most in-house training programs are rigidly tied to a certain number of hours doing specific tasks to get the next step. This usually means a 3-4 year program.

5. Default

I have had the pleasure of working for both a utility and a couple contractors. I know that I am a much better hand going through a construction apprenticeship. I have encountered much more challenging tasks than when I worked at the utility. Even though I was a groundman for only the summer I felt comfortable doing All tasks that were handled by the crew which I grunted on. As an apprentice on a contract crew I have seen some pretty wild stuff to work on, the crews I worked on at the utility primarily did tangent changeouts and underground. while contracting I have been on helicopter jobs, backyard pole changouts (all off the hooks) etc. so on and so forth. I dont have a lifetime of experience doing either (contract or utility) so take that for what it is. as far a bieng pushed to fast as a contract app. Ive only been pushed as far as my ability. I study hard and my time as a groundman and in line school helped me out. I have yet to meet a foreman who WANTED to get a guy hurt. stay safe no matter what

Quote Originally Posted by suddsy View Post
    I have had the pleasure of working for both a utility and a couple contractors. I know that I am a much better hand going through a construction apprenticeship. I have encountered much more challenging tasks than when I worked at the utility. Even though I was a groundman for only the summer I felt comfortable doing All tasks that were handled by the crew which I grunted on. As an apprentice on a contract crew I have seen some pretty wild stuff to work on, the crews I worked on at the utility primarily did tangent changeouts and underground. while contracting I have been on helicopter jobs, backyard pole changouts (all off the hooks) etc. so on and so forth. I dont have a lifetime of experience doing either (contract or utility) so take that for what it is. as far a bieng pushed to fast as a contract app. Ive only been pushed as far as my ability. I study hard and my time as a groundman and in line school helped me out. I have yet to meet a foreman who WANTED to get a guy hurt. stay safe no matter what
    I'm sure the apprentice from polteco that was just killed felt the same as you.

Default outside construction

outside construction is the only way to go the retirement is way better, the pay is better you get per diem more hours then more of the utility hands and way more experience then them. you do the work they run from and i don't have to look at the some people everyday or if i don't like someone or something just drag up go back to the hall and get another job. also you can take as much time off as you want. all around better i have worked for both and never say never but i don't see myself working for one in the near future anytime soon.

Default Class

Quote Originally Posted by topgroove View Post
    I'm sure the apprentice from polteco that was just killed felt the same as you.
    Why dont you go buy some, cuz you dont have any.

WAlinehand1970 my appoligies if any disrespect was implied towards our fallen brother. I certainly don't want this thread to turn into another contractor vs union utility bashing. the point I was trying to make is it seams apprentices are being pushed too fast through the ranks. Both contractors and utilities are guilty of this. I never met an app who would admitt he thought he was being pushed too fast. The recent rash of apprentice fatalities makes this painfully obvious.Expierence is something we find out we need just after we need it.

Talking Not all but some

Featured Sponsorr

I worked with a new Journeymen from an unnamed contractor, at a utility. He had one speed, [BALLS TO THE WALLS]. Hi speed on the bucket, beat on things with a hot stick. When I was in the bucket with Him I would put my hand on His shoulder and say slow and steady wins the race, and the most important thing of all is we all go home with our lives and all of our hands and fingers.