Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Bc Hydro

Default MWoody?

Featured Sponsor

IS this MR&MRS Humphrey's
    Good to see Mrs.Mwoody, Mrs.Billymac likes reading the forums to.

mwoody Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
    IS this MR&MRS Humphrey's
    Good to see Mrs.Mwoody, Mrs.Billymac likes reading the forums to.
    Hi yes it is. Got my fingers crossed for you when you go to Van. As we hadn't heard from you were not sure what you had decided. Got for it! Get ready for a that hige phone bill while your away. If Mrs Billymac wants to chat get her to pm or mail me.

Smile I'm Here

Hi all landed here in Vancouver yesterday to some drizzly rainy weather, looks better today, Going out site seeing the whole touristy bit. Big interview day the next two days so hope all goes well. Hello to my wife and daughter at home reading this.(are you allowed on here!! ) Must say BC Hydro has done me well so far staying at the Hyatt Regancy very nice digs.
    Well catch you's around may post again before i leave Vancouver.
    Seeya

Default Back from BC Hydro Interview

Well, I'm back from my interview with BC Hydro, I think I did pretty well. The first day I went out to the training yard and did practical testing and a physical. The next day I completed a theory quiz and had my 'official' interview with Sean Hubbell and Doug Trap (Foreman in Abbotsford) and then completed a medical. They did mention at the interview that I would start off as a groundsman (getting paid same rate as PLT) until my initial training in Vancouver (approx 6 - 8 weeks) was up and after that choose where in BC we want to work.

BCH are currently doing background checks and once that is all completed I should hear back from them as to whether I have a job or not.

I enjoyed Vancouver, met up with a friend of ours who is living over there at the moment, we did a bit of sight seeing - had a great time.

Will keep you informed. Stay safe.

Bill

billfoster67 Guest

Default I met a BC Hydro guys.

Met a crew near Watson Lake. They were great guys, worked well together. They did a cut and kick, on a two circuit straight line, 180 from eachother. They were really professional doing it and they were done by 2pm. Thats pretty good for anyone. No yelling-good teamwork-good foreman. One of those crumudgeonly older likeable guys you want to work hard for. They had the equipment and good lineman. I worked for Southern Cal Edison, there would be only one foreman in our yard that would do that-the others would just give it to a contractor.

I remember three years ago going through BC. And the governor, was going to reduce the wages of health workers, even though they had collective bargaining a year previous. The governor rescinded on it and the head of the union let him. The whole province was going to shut down. But the union head let him rescind the contract. And when he came out of the some government building these nurses went crazy throwing all kinds of stuff-garbage. These nurses were spitting on him. Of course he resigned. But I was impressed every union member were going to stay at home and let the whole province shut down. Thats being union. I wish we could do that in the US. Have a sympathy shutdown.

Trampbag, you probably knew what was going on better. But I was impressed with that. That Solidarity was pretty impressive.

The BC Hydro lineman can certainly hold his own against any lineman out there. Most are well rounded, quality tradesmen and have proven themselves where ever they travel. The Line Construction Standard and the Safety Rules at BC Hydro are as good, and in some cases much better, than other utilities when the company decides to follow them.

There in lies the problem. The Labour Relations with in BC government operations, and BC Hydro is owned by the BC government, have been abysmal since 1981. In 1983 BCH laid off all its apprentices (over 50), some with only 6 months left till top out.

The BC Government has a reputation and 30 history of cancelling collective agreements, ignoring human rights and the Constitution of Canada and union breaking or business bashing (depending upon who is in power). Add that to the fact that BC Hydro management can be abusive the place can sometimes be a difficult place to work in. The only point I am making is considering that BC Hydro was a good place to work prior to 1981 it is a shame conditions have changed so much. None of the other utilities in the province has the same morale problem, and I dare say none in Western Canada.
    Last edited by Trampbag; 08-21-2007 at 11:27 PM.
    Have Trampbag, Will Travel

Everyone who comes here brings a little joy.

Some when they come in. Others when they leave.

Default Correct

Trampbag is correct. Hydro does have many skilled linemen. The problem lies in the fact that the goverment controls hydro. Bob Elton (CEO) wouldn't fart without permission. Human Resources has some how wedged themselves into power yet really don't know what or how to deal with a crisis. They have ignored a shortage of men for years, and now scramble with idiotic ideas. Instead of brining a man all the way from Australia why not give us wage parity with the contractors. That would bring men running back, but Oh no the gov't won't allow us to do that. Have some balls and try it you idiots. Instead we struggle along and now Hydro is limiting OT so that any chance to make up for the lower wages is gone. WAY TO GO NEIL S. got it all under control don't ya buddy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default I got the Job at BCH

For those of you who are interested, I've got a job at BC Hydro. I have asked if they are willing to wait until their Spring before I move over and they have agreed. All we need to do now is decide where we want to live and work! Along the way I have asked many questions and asked for advice and the responses I got back helped Kelli and I make our decision. We are looking forward to the change, working for a new Company, moving to a new Country and experiencing a new lifestyle. Thanks Bill

Red face Spanner in the works

Featured Sponsorr

I would firstly like to thank all on this wonderful site who have given there time to reply and share all there useful knowledge to me and my Wife in regards to moving to Canada. It seems it wasn't meant to be as we have been dealt with the amazing news that we are expecting identical twins come July
    Having a 2 year old already we know what we are up for, but X2 We figured it would be a tad difficult especially in another country. So I am still hoping to one day travel O/S and work but not for a few years now.
    Cheers
    Wish me Luck