Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default but,,,

Featured Sponsor

with all the money I make in construction I can buy a hospital,,,,,, E.S.

Box Guest

I have a feeling that most of you are getting pissy and just saying all this BECAUSE you don't have the stability, better benefits, 401k, pension, room for growth, retirement, etc. that we do. i was just curious why anybody would wanna work for a company that cannot find them work for 365 days straight, that's all. maybe you had trouble getting into the big power company by you, so you settled for the mom and pop shop electric company. it's okay.

Default outside

We have all that on the outside,what are you talking about? E.S.

Box Guest

outside of what?

Default you

You ARE green! The outside ,outside of the little walls you call home.Outside construction,you know contractors.Or do you know that contractor even exist,in your own little world? E.S.

Default box

Swamp, its the little "box" of a world he lives in right now. Iam glad he's in a program,and glad he's Union( you dont care I would guess) but them power company hands will brain wash him real soon.We all know some of them guys are TOP notch hands,but there is more to the world of linework than just the territory and system he's go'n to learn. E.S. 23 days

Thumbs down Big Power Co BOX

Listen up box. Some men make choices for different reasons, so do not insult my intelligence or reason for being union contractor. I have good benifiets, annunity, room for promotion, holidays. no vacation. But let me think, am I forgetting something????? Oh ya. the 150K I make every year. The ability to see the country and free road. I also like having the ability to just pick and drag if i do not like things and i will have a job within 24hrs thru my local, or i just may want to see the west for a couple of months and not loose one cent, or have to cash in my retirement or 401K etc., because that is the benifiet of being a union lineman. Box you can learn a lot from these brothers on this net and they will give you a lot of information if you have a question about line work. This net is both union and non union, but brothers in trade. So when you make and if you make JL then maybe you can come in here with the big boys and join the conversation. We welcome all to include apprentices, but do not come here to insult us. We get on each other about things and how we feel about things, but that is part of a lineman nature, but we all respect one another at the end of the day. So if you can't respect some of our brothers because they chose not to work for big utilites or non-union then please do not bother coming on here.

Default box

The medical insurance we contractors get through the union is top notch, it is called Lineco, and I love it. We also have a pension that is pretty good and alot of unions also put money into an annuity plan as well. Also, on average contractors are paid higher wages than shop boys and I haven't been laid off in the 2+ years I've been working in this trade. I'm sure the benefit of being close to home makes up for all of that though.
    I may be stupid, but at least I'm ugly

9. Default other benefits

Something that has been eluded to but not outwardly mentioned is also the tax benefits to bieng on the road away from your home base. most guys I know get back anywhere from 6k to at the most I've heard of 28k. not a bad check to kick off your summer. To be honest I do believe honestly that the knowledge gained from tramping is tremendous. you will learn all 1000 ways to skin the proverbial cat. You will probablly forget 998 of them though.

Featured Sponsorr

Served my app.ship and worked 10 years for a contractor and thank God every day that I did. Great way to learn the trade. Work for a utility now. Have to walk around holding my throat to keep it from getting cut everyday but as a T-Man I can get in my truck and get the hell away from those no good, low breed, back biteing,. SOB we call management