Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T2

truckster Guest

Default T2

Featured Sponsor

does anyone like to work with it

Default When you say

T2 what exactly are you refering to ? Right off hand only T2 I can think of is thats how the line and breaker side switches on the bus work in our subs are designated.

Koga

Think of T2 as being two smaller diameter ACSR conductors loosly twisted together to replace a single larger conductor. It is primarily used to prevent conductor galloping from wind blowing across the conductor. An absolute PITA to work with.
    I don't give em hell, I just tell the truth and they think it is Hell! - Truman

Default Ok

never had the pleasure of using it ! But some of the cheap crap they buy now is a bitch to deal with.

Put back up about 24 miles of that stuff back in January out in west KS.

Pretty much everyone was cuss'in that stuff! Getting the bubbles out is kinda hard, (steel choker thru a shiv and a grip on each end when sagging evened it out pretty good though).

There sure was one helluva lot of automatics used -- two for every bad spot added up way fast. We had 2 no.2's twisted up so we tied'em in with 4/0 preformed ties. Its some silly stuff. Apparently it doesn't work to well either.

can not stand the shit. twice the work. could not imagine having to stick it. seems a touch on the irrational side to me.

Not really new, it's been around for awhile. Fortunatly it is not used much. It's main claim to fame is that by having the two conductors spiraled around each other it does not form an aerodynamic surface when wind blows across it so that it doesn't lift and start to gallop like plain conductor can. Especailly in icing conditions.

Biggest problem with the stuff is sagging it properly. You have to pull both sub-conductors with exactly the same amount of tension or it forms big gaps between the sub-conductors somewhere. Major pain and takes a long time. Also mid-span repairs or splices can't lie flat and look like crap. Twice as much work to do anything with it.
    I don't give em hell, I just tell the truth and they think it is Hell! - Truman

Default T2

Here in the Midwest T2 is the conductor of choice for utilities. Ive worked with #2-T2 to the current job 1193-T2. That works out to 2226 KCML.
    Basically you have two conductors wrapped together for each phase.
    You use two grips, one on each conductor, with a steel sling and a skookum block to keep tension equal between the two conductors. Just hook your hoist into the skookum and start jackin' .
    It's not as nice as single conductor to work with but from a utility or customer view point You gotta love it. When ice builds up on it. It doesn't gallop like single conductor does. The twists in conductor don't allow the airfoil effect of lift that single conductor has.
    Restoration or storm work IS a bitch! LOts of sleeves, lots of work, a real pain. The smart utilitie folk keep a large supply on hand for storms.
    Hot work on T2 is very difficult it is hard to rig and if you have spread the twisted conductors for any reason. It will kick your ass. Not impossable but no fun at all.

But then, if this job was easy every one would want to do it!
    Stay outa the bite.

Default T2

Here in the Midwest T2 is the conductor of choice for utilities. Ive worked with #2-T2 to the current job 69 KV 1193-T2. That works out to 2226 KCML.
    There might be bigger stuff out there but I haven't heard of it
    Basically you have two conductors wrapped together for each phase.
    You use two grips, one on each conductor, with a steel sling and a skookum block to keep tension equal between the two conductors. Just hook your hoist into the skookum and start jackin' .
    It's not as nice as single conductor to work with but from a utility or customer view point You gotta love it. When ice builds up on it. It doesn't gallop like single conductor does. The twists in conductor don't allow the airfoil effect of lift that single conductor has.
    Restoration or storm work IS a bitch! LOts of sleeves, lots of work, a real pain. The smart utilitie folk keep a large supply on hand for storms.
    Hot work on T2 is very difficult it is hard to rig and if you have spread the twisted conductors for any reason. It will kick your ass. Not impossable but no fun at all.

But then, if this job was easy every one would want to do it!
    Stay outa the bite.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    Damn...
    Never heard of this shit...."T2"???

What's it about, and why is it "hard" or harder to work with?
    I don't feel it's hard to work with, it's just more time consuming. Everything is doubled.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    The bigger the conductor in ACSR...the more Steel core there is in the center.
    Not always. We're working with 556 and 1113 T2 and they both have the same size steel core.