1. Default Working Assessment Question Please Help

Featured Sponsor

I need so help if you guys don't mind a wife posting here.

My husband worked in Indiana out of 1393 for H&M earlier this year. I came across his pay stubs for this company and it does not appear to have any assessments taken out. The total taxes withheld (which is itemized as FICA, MEDI, FIT, and SIT) are the only amounts withheld. Nowhere on the stub does it even mention dues/assessments or anything like it. So what happens now? I know he should double check all of the numbers when he gets his check so it is his fault as well as H&M's if it really was not taken out. I realize we will most likely end up having to pay the missing amount to the local. He checked with a buddy of his after I called him and sent him into a panic and it does not show on his stubs either. They both went through the hall and thought the assessments were being taken out. How could something like this happen? Wouldn't the hall know they were missing money? I had called his home local today before I found these stubs to ask if there was a way to check how much he has paid in assessments for the year for our taxes and not all of his stubs make it back home with him. They said no there is not unless we call each local and ask. I asked why doesn't this show on ERTS as a way for employees to double check with out calling all the locals. Was told yeah that would be nice they wished it would too.

So do you guys think it has gone unpaid? Have any of y'all had this happen to you? Should he/can he file a grievance over this? I guess I will call 1393 in the morning and ask what his 2007 assessments paid are and go from there? Just thought that maybe I am looking at it wrong ( I Hope ) you guys can save me from looking like a dumb ass tomorrow.

Thanks

2. Default Dues

If hes a member of the ibew hes paying dues other wise he would not be a member. I wouldn't worry about it. If you must call but why is this a issue with you checking his stubs.. My wife could care less and dosen't have a clue whats on my check long as she get to spend it!

3. Default

I know he is a member. That's not what has me worried. I send in his monthly dues to his home local. I just don't want to this to come back and haunt him later. Would rather fix it now and pay what he owes to Indiana, if he owes it. We are waiting to hear back from H&M.

I had went to a CPA last week to see how to handle our taxes for 2007 and was told that Assessments are deductible. So I needed a way to track these. I was looking at what stubs I have to get an idea at how much he has paid and to where.

I am not checking up on him. He does the tramping/risk taking I handle the rest.

Thanks

Default Working assessment

Union dues are a monthly fee, paid quarterly in advance to a member's home local. Working Assessments is a percentage of a member's gross wages earned. Usually from 1 to 3%. This is deducted weekly by the employer from the employee's weekly gross amount and submitted monthly to the Local Union in whose area the employee was working. Sometimes employers goof up on this, especially if the employee has been working in two or more Local Union jurisdictions. A good example of that would be storm work in multiple states within one month.

If the working assessment was not deducted and submitted by the employer, it then becomes the employees responsibility to pay it. The best advice was the advice given earlier to call the Local Union and ask them what is owed, if anything.

Both Union dues and Working Assessments are deductible from your income tax.

Some Local Unions send a receipt for tax purposes in February. Many don’t unless ask to do so. Contact the Local Union where hubby worked and ask for a working dues paid receipt. Don’t worry about whether the proper amount of dues were paid or not.

I have never known a Local Union hall to get short changed. They ( the LUs) are pretty aggressive about collecting monies owed. Most collective agreements have language in them that puts the collection and submission of working dues squarely on the company and provide penalties to the company if those monies are not submitted on time.

If you are still concerned after you do the above PM me and I will see what I can do.
    Have Trampbag, Will Travel

Everyone who comes here brings a little joy.

Some when they come in. Others when they leave.

6. Default Question

Sorry if it sounded like I thought you were being nosy or something. I apologize Guess what i meant was Its kind of unusual for the wife to be doing what your doing. I admire you for helping your husband like that. Not many would bother.

7. Default

I called the Local today Nothing was paid. I asked how much does he owe and was told "don't worry about it". It had just been put on their desk today. I guess the company had called today as well. CYA time As I was told they will start withholding the assessments on other employees that had not been set up yet.

He and I both had never thought of the money not being taken out until now. Lesson learned.

Thanks for the receipt tip didn't know or even think of that. The Locals must get a of calls about this issue though come tax time. I will start asking for those each time he leaves one and moves on to the next.

I should of caught this before now though. He and I use paycheck city to get a idea of what his take home will be. Between assessments and State Taxes you can never tell what job will pay more just going by hours and scale. Plus the cost of living and hotel prices. We run the numbers, get a estimate of the Hotel cost, factor in how far away he will be and go from there.

I try to do what I can to help. I appreciate what he does for his family. I had just always assumed the wives took care of a lot of stuff for the guys on the road. Maybe I am spoiling him?

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by linemanswife View Post

I try to do what I can to help. I appreciate what he does for his family. I had just always assumed the wives took care of a lot of stuff for the guys on the road. Maybe I am spoiling him?
    Spoiling him? I had to laugh. For mine is most definitely spoiled! I also take care of all things finanical. I took care of the children's needs when they were growing up, been a part time carpenter, electrical flunky, changed the oil, mowed the grass, you name! And if I couldn't do it, I'd find the help somewhere, neighbor, brothers, etc.

No, you are not alone and I much doubt it's just you and I doing this!

I'm glad you found your answer. That's the main thing.

Take care!