Default Personal Dilemma

Featured Sponsor

I was working on a crew as a 4th man about 6 months ago temporarily. A low step apprentice was about to climb and asked if he could use my lowell style fargo wrench(same thing as lowell just made by fargo). I don't exactly remember wether I put the wrench back in my tool bag or if I asked the low step to put it back, but a few days later, I needed my wrench and it was not where it should be. So after raising hell and high water I accepted that it was my own damn fault.

A few days ago, the low step called me and said that the 7th step that was on the same crew just recently started using a wrench just like mine(used and FARGO brand). The 7th step also has a reputation of being a thief and was a suspect 6 months ago. But, I am on good terms aquaintance-wise with the 7th step and don't want to make false accusations against a union brother with no proof.

I guess I don't really know what I'm asking, but advice would help. If he did steal it and I get hard evidence, I'll get it back and kick his ass. It is an $80 wrench so it did mean alot when I lost it.

Anybody else had thieves on their crews? What did you do?
    I may be stupid, but at least I'm ugly

That's an easy one.....
    Buy an engraver and put your name on your tools.

Blog Entries

Ive had my tools stolen that I engraved with my name, people will steal your dirty underwear no less your tools. The wrench cost ya $80, if you can prove its yours, walk over to him when he has it in his hand, take it back from him and tell him next time he "borrows" it, to ask first, then he should return it in a timely fashion. You'll find out quickly if he has any balls......
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

lineman-up Guest

Default paint your tools!!!!

mike first off i didnt know that being union gave you the right to steal from the other "lineman" but anyway. when i did construction i had a lot of problem with tools diappearing too,there's a simple solution: lay all your tools out in the grass and get a can of hot pink or green paint and paint the hell out of them. a new coat of paint every six monthes or so makes it real evident whos tools they are, even from a long ways away. It suck that ya cant trust other "lineman" but that is just the nature of the beast now days as the prices of the tools go up someon always looks for the easy way out.

Thanks for the advice all. I've been steaming over this the last two days on my drive and did decide that instead of resorting to violence out of anger or frustration, I will as many suggested, chalk it up as a lesson.

The engraver is a great idea. I've seen other guys tools with their names or initials engraved before. Time to go shopping for another expensive tool; an engraver.
    I may be stupid, but at least I'm ugly

If you dont wanna spend lottsa loot then use a file and file a few grooves in every tool to identify em as yours.But bad as I hate to admit it there are union brothers that have a penchant for other peoples stuff

I Once Lived In Pendleton, Oregon Now I am All Over Wyoming & Utah! God I Love The Rocky Mountains!

Angry Make Sure Its Yours...

I had this problem once, and my advice to you is: If you are working on the same crew as him, check to see if its yours and if it is confront him. You should know if its your tool and if it is then take it back! I wouldnt accuse him of anything, just walk over to his tool bag and look for it. If he gets all butt hurt just tell him exactly what you are doing, "I am looking for a Lowell that I lost and it might of ended up in your bag by mistake". If he has it then take it back, if he dosent then just walk away.

My advice: Get a paint pen and write your name on your tools, then check your bag at the end of the day to make sure you have all of them.

I do like the file idea.....
    That's Oregon Not Oregon!

You don't have to spend big $$$ on an engraver. I think mine was only $25 or so. That plus the paint idea should remove any doubt as to who owns what.

Default engraver

Featured Sponsorr

Mike, I have a set of letter punches.

You just smack 'em with a hammer, they do a good job.

You can get 'em on ebay or probably a Northern Tools type place.

I once loaned a guy 20 bucks, and the a$$hole never paid me back. I figured it cost me 20 bucks to find out what kind of person he was.

I hav'nt had any problems with theives where I work, but then again, you can requisition almost any tool you want here.

People stealing material, now that's another story! I can remember working for the contractors and snagging top ties, roll of copper, hot line clamps, etc. Whatever it took to finish my job.

Here, the crews just kick back and call for a hustler to bring them material. Different world.

Good luck Mike.