Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Working 24 hrs

Featured Sponsor

Yes, we are our own worst enemy. The greed for OT makes sure that apprentices don’t get hired, increases our risk of being seriously injured or killed and gives the company a break because they can lay all the blame at our feet. Pilot error.

Why don’t we just all lobby our government to throw all the rules out the door because everything we do is a national emergency? We could all be rich. Where is the limit??? $250,000, $300,000???

Maybe more???!!!!

I'll change my handle to moneybag.
    Have Trampbag, Will Travel

Everyone who comes here brings a little joy.

Some when they come in. Others when they leave.

Default Current Hours of Service Rules

for utility workers changed. There are NO restrictions of how many hours a lineman can work or drive. Up until a couple of years ago a driver of a commercial motor vehicle could not drive a CMV if he had been working (on-dury) for more than 14 hours. He then had to have 10 hours straight rest time before he could drive again. Pay attention here, this only applied to driving a CMV, he could work as many hours as wanted/needed. There have never been any restrictions on the number of hours you could work.

The transportation funding act of 2005 included a clause that would exempt drivers of "utility service vehicles" from all hours of service rules. this was passed by congress and signed into law by the president and this rule change became effective immediatly. FMCSA finally issed the final version of this rule change about a month ago. So if you work for a utility, or as I understand it, a contractor working for a utility, you are now exempt from all hours of service rules both federal and state. No emergency declaration has to be made by anyone anymore. By the way, you still have to abide by all other CDL/CMV rules, we were only exempted from hours of service rules.
    I don't give em hell, I just tell the truth and they think it is Hell! - Truman

billfoster67 Guest

Default Your considered a pedal driver, pick up drop off

I left California in 2005, they have a law that exceeds Federal Law which is 16, Cal 14 hours. You have to have an exclusion or somebody kid of paperwork in your packet by the State that excludes you from the law. I made it a case when we working 32 and 8, on scheduled jobs- the General Foreman, got some apes to pick up our trucks and somebody picked us up in a crew cab. At first I had a cheesy ass company suk, and he threw me this paperwork that we were excluded and then I looked at it, it was in affect until '98 and it was the year 2005. If your a construction lineman see if you fall under the exclusion, if not you are risking your cdl and insurance rates if something happens.

Your considered a pedal driver. No log book, if you drive within 100 miles of your work site. Fed says 16 hours from begginning of work to the end, and then you have to have a ten hour break to start again- but you can get around it by having no log book. It depends on the state- some states are more stricter. But have the foreman answer if you get pulled over or have an accident.

Remember guys its your CDL, not the companies. Leave the trucks right there and have the GF figure it out, if he can't then he shouldn't be a gf.

murph1 Guest

Default murph1

we used to have truck drivers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont drive if you are over outfits are putting it on us now days boys !!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by billfoster67 View Post
    I left California in 2005, they have a law that exceeds Federal Law which is 16, Cal 14 hours. You have to have an exclusion or somebody kid of paperwork in your packet by the State that excludes you from the law. I made it a case when we working 32 and 8, on scheduled jobs- the General Foreman, got some apes to pick up our trucks and somebody picked us up in a crew cab. At first I had a cheesy ass company suk, and he threw me this paperwork that we were excluded and then I looked at it, it was in affect until '98 and it was the year 2005. If your a construction lineman see if you fall under the exclusion, if not you are risking your cdl and insurance rates if something happens.

Your considered a pedal driver. No log book, if you drive within 100 miles of your work site. Fed says 16 hours from begginning of work to the end, and then you have to have a ten hour break to start again- but you can get around it by having no log book. It depends on the state- some states are more stricter. But have the foreman answer if you get pulled over or have an accident.

Remember guys its your CDL, not the companies. Leave the trucks right there and have the GF figure it out, if he can't then he shouldn't be a gf.

When the Federal HOS exemption for utility service drivers took effect with the signing of the 2005 transportatin funding act it also prevented ALL states from enacting or enforcing their own HOS rules with regard to utility drivers. At this time there are NO limits on driving time for drivers of utility service vehicles. The Feds, DOT or OSHA, have NEVER put a limit on how many hours a lineman can work.
    I don't give em hell, I just tell the truth and they think it is Hell! - Truman

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

Arrow We are exempt

HOS rules do not apply to us. No log books, ect. Now the company I work for asks ya do 16 on 8 off but you can work over if you like and ask to but they try to make it out that anything that happens after your 16 is your fault no matter what.

I work in Maine. We run 17 hours on 7 off until the end of the storm, on the last rotation (end of storm restoration)we get a min 8 hour break to break our rotation. No log books. We can only cross state lines in a declared emergency. We still follow our rules out of state or when we go to Canada

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

Default Exemption

We have to carry a letter of exeption in our trucks for the DOT. Illl try to copy the letter tomorrow and post it for you all.

Default 24 hrs

Featured Sponsorr

I Think That The Exemption Of Elec.worker From The Hos Rule Is Bs.that Rule Was Put In There To Protect Workers!!i Think A Hos Rule Should Be Made By Osha For All Utility And Limit Hos To 14-16hos No Matter What The Problem Is.studies Have Shown That A Tried Perso Is Worse That A Drunk Drive.because You All That Some Companies Will Work There Workers To No End And Then Some.
    Just My Thoughts On The Topic.