Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    new blood Guest

Question looking for pizza cutter

Featured Sponsor

Does anyone know where i could buy a pizza cutter? If you have one or any info please email me at smurfgod1@aol.com

This is a picture of a pizza cutter on a pole strap with the choker
    Last edited by new blood; 11-20-2007 at 11:24 PM. Reason: to insert picture

Question ???

Not to sound like I'm not a "as CL puts it a line god" but whats a pizza cutter?

walmart!!

im wondering the same thing whats a pizza cutter? something for skinnin urd?

That disc on the safety at the back is a pizza cutter.Supposed to bite into the pole,preventing you from sliding to the ground if you cut out.That safety does not have double locking snap hooks.Thought those single snaps were outlawed in North America?

i dunno where to get one of them, i have a buckingham pole choker and really like it.

the non locking snaps are grandfathered in if you have one you can use it, you just cant buy new ones. ive got one, i stopped using it when i was workin around a pole and a piece of 4acsr that i hadnt pulled up yet unsnap my safety.

new blood Guest

i dont need the safety just the pizza cutter and the choker strap i have the jelco pole choker now and i hate it. if you can help me get one please let me know

Just in case you don't get a pizza cutter,New Blood,how about trying a Miller Stopfall?Those chokers are all a pain anyhow.

The only thing that I know of is the BuckTooth from buckingham

http://www.buckinghammfg.com/linemen/bucksq.html

9. Default No, no, no to the pizza cutter!

Hi Newblood,
    I don't know whether you got your pizza cutter yet or not but if you haven't please read on.
    The pizza cutter was the first fall restrict system invented and it was invented by an Ontatrio Hydro employee. It is easily defeated by the user because all you have to do is NOT install the cross strap between the pole and the lineman, and your back to climbing while hitch hiking.That's the aim of some linemen whose attitude isn't in the right place, so they like it.
    This renders it practically useless but you appear to be doing the right thing to the untrained eye. They don't fool me.
    You may say why would anyone do that? They do because then they can climb the pole by the hitch hiking method which is less cumbersome to them. But the whole purpose of the effort is fall protection, isn't it?
    In the event of a cut out your coming down.
    I've seen many a lineman cheating with it. It's a kin to not wearing a seat belt while driving your vehicle. There are those type of people out there who do that too. And there are linemen also who don't have the right attitude about accident prevention. They're attitude is, " it won't happen to me", or "I've free climbed all these years and I'm not about to change now".
    That isn't the spirit of accident prevention you appear to have.
    If your earnest about this I have a better idea!
    Go to the most reputable company that produces this safety tool and the company who has tested and tested the device until they came up with the best. That's Jelco based in Montrel, Canada.
    They have to build their products to satisfy CSA, Hydro Quebec (one of the most discriminating utilities in the world), ANSI standards and any other world standards.
    Can it be defeated, NO.
    Does it meet any standard, YES.
    Is it user friendly, YES if you always used it and NO if your trying to change from free climbing to using a fall restricting system.
    In Canada, since all provinces are heading to the total fall protection system coast to coast CSA had to develop a performance criteria. These devices have to perform on dry poles, wet poles and iced poles.
    That performance criteria rendered the pizza cutter to the scrap heap where it belonged.
    It even forced Jelco the premium manufacturer to develop a fourth generation POLE CHOKER.
    The fourth generation pole choker is CSA approved for all categories. That's where to put your money if your serious about fall prevention.
    Granted it will be a pain to start with, but apprentices that have never free climbed because of provincial regulation or company policy wouldn't be caught without it.
    As for the Buckingham 'Buck Squeeze" if it hasn't been subjected to the CSA testing,therefore it isn't certified as far as I know so I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
    As for the Miller (Bacou Dalloz) 'stop fall' unit a likewise comment.
    Ontario Hydro (Hydro One) bought hundreds of them and found out during their own internal testing that they just flew apart when subjected to the dynamic forces of a falling maniquin.
    Bottom line, if your serious, your safety attitude is to be commended and this is crucial information. I have watched these units develop for the last 20-25 years or so and wouldn't steer you wrong. Let me know what happens.
    The Old Lineman
    Last edited by old lineman; 01-01-2008 at 11:53 AM.

Question Whats wrong?

Featured Sponsorr

So whats wrong with just climbing with your skid, like lineman have been doing from day one?