Thread: Line-Load

Default Line-Load

Featured Sponsor

Needing to know what the normal is out there.
    I was taught that when installing a cut-out the line side was the top and the load side was the bottom and that was the way you better build it.
    Anytime you had a tap coming off of the main line, the tap conductor was installed below the main line conductor.
    Also in a pad mount unit the line side cable plugged into the top and the load side cable into the bottom (In high-out low theory)
    A conductor that is used a jumper with a hot line clamp you always have it so that when the clamp is removed with a stick the jumper becomes de-energized.

Tell me how you guys build things and maybe I am going to have adjust my thinking.

Cutouts: Don't assume that the lowside is the load side when you're dealing with underground risers.These are potential traps if they are feeding up the pole.Always follow safe work practices, Identify,Isolate,Test,And Ground.

Default thats right

never assume,,,,,,sometimes the overhead is feed from underground ,,,the top of the cutout ,,should be the feed,,it often looks wrong to some lineman ,so they make it the ( normal way),,no matter what,,,,,,,,test it before you touch it ,,period,,,,,,,scammy

Talking conventions

Electriceel, you were taught the same way I was. HOWEVER in these days of pushing systems to the limit and system improvement jobs always behind new construction more and more lines get switched and feeds changed. So while it may have been built with feed on top and tap below that is no guanantee it still is now. The only safe thing to do is treat it as hot until you isolate - test - and ground.

Talking Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Electriceel View Post
    Needing to know what the normal is out there.
    I was taught that when installing a cut-out the line side was the top and the load side was the bottom and that was the way you better build it.
    Anytime you had a tap coming off of the main line, the tap conductor was installed below the main line conductor.
    Also in a pad mount unit the line side cable plugged into the top and the load side cable into the bottom (In high-out low theory)
    A conductor that is used a jumper with a hot line clamp you always have it so that when the clamp is removed with a stick the jumper becomes de-energized.

Tell me how you guys build things and maybe I am going to have adjust my thinking.
    That's the way it should be. But there's just some times you have to deviate from the norm when you build something. Look things over before you work, tailboards, never never assume. Which you ass.

with loop feed systems it would not be practical to have the so called incoming on the top. You have to assume both sides of a switch are alive untill you test & ground.

Default Thats the way

I was taught also. But as stated you can't always assume every one was done that way.

Koga

Thanks guys. I should have clarified myself as to overhead construction.
    Agreed never assume anything, we all know what that word means.

Default source/load

If its a deadblade switch either side can be the line or load however if its a fused disconnect only the top side should be used for the source side.

Featured Sponsorr

Again on a loop system O.H. or U.G. fused or solid switches it does not matter as the in & out can change. On a radial yes the line is on the top & the load is on the bottom or on inline the blade is on the load side so that when open the blade is isolated.