Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Question On Cleaning Insulators On Hot Line

Featured Sponsor

I Seeking Info On Pressure Washing Insulators On A 13,200/22,840 Volt System While It Is Hot. The System Is Sheilded Neutral With All 3 Phases On 10 Ft. Arms And 25 Kv Glass. I Found A Little Info In My Handbook, But I Was Wanting To Talk To Someone Who Has Actually Done It Before. Any Input On Procedures Would Be Appreciated.

Default insulator cleaner

I've used this thing that shot a gritty sand like material that I was told was ground corn husk to clean ainsulators on 34kv hot. We covered the surounding conductors with hardhogs and the arm with a plastic. it went all right but the spray gun belt up a hell of a lot of static and would knock the s##t out of you through your class 2 gloves. It polished the glass real well.

Default Thanks Swamp

How Did You Ground Your Nozzle?

I don't remember grounding the nozzle which is probably why the static ate us up. I only used it on two poles that we couldn't have out and it might have been delta. sounds like swamprat is the guy
    Last edited by BULLogna; 03-11-2008 at 11:44 PM.

Default insulator washing

If your using a altec insulator washer they will provide you with manuals and probably send someone out to a safety training meeting

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

Its the water for sure.. Some people dont realize de-mineralized water is the perfect insulator. They even used water in the tanks of some older transformers. Thats why Ice and snow storms are dangerous.. 19.9 could be hot on the ground in the snow and you wouldn't know it until its too late.

Pure demineralised water does have a very high resistance, but it really doesn't take much impurity to raise its conductivity significantly. Do you keep the water in sealed containers to avoid contamination?
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

8. Default washing

When I done it the main thing was to have a fine spray so that lots of air is mixed in with the water. Air is a great insulator. We just used water right out of the tap. I've used the fireman's hose and we had a rig the company owned also. All worked fine on high voltages. We used to energize a grid at 34k and show the firemen that you could do it but we never let them touch the hose. Pole fires we would use what ever fire company was at the site. For routine cleaning we had a rig you could pull behind the truck.

I have never done it, do not realy want to do it.
    We use these guys along with most of the province http://www.k-line.ca/section/view/?fnode=29

Featured Sponsorr

There is a lot of info here....
    http://www.powerlineman.com/lforum/s...ead.php?t=2225

Since this was posted, our manual has been updated. Our 500kv water resistance has been raised from 550 ohms per sq. in. low, 20000 high, to 3000 & 50000 respectively.
    For Swamp, we don't use " de-mineralized" water, we use de-ionized water and as we speak, are having a de-ionizing filtration system installed at our yard for 500kv washing by Culligan. Any type water in, 50000ohms per sq in out. Pretty slick system. Will post pics when installed....
    As far as Dry wash, I'm kind of an expert on that, having written the procedure for it in our Insulator Wash Manual and being the first in our company to use this system.
    Hope this helps......