Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Bucksqueeze

Hybrid View

lineman4aep Guest

Default The Bucksqueeze

I am getting ready to go back to lineman school, C-300, in april and they are going to train us in the bucksqueeze. I was wondering if there was any tricks or tips to using the thing? The guys that already have them seem to be having a rough time getting use to it. Thanks

Not to pull you off your subject, but are your lower ape's being taught to free climb at least for emergency situations. I work for AEP west and was wondering how it was being done.

lineman4aep Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lnhnd13 View Post
    Not to pull you off your subject, but are your lower ape's being taught to free climb at least for emergency situations. I work for AEP west and was wondering how it was being done.
    I was brought up free climbing, and I still do every chance I get. After I get done with school though, I won't be free climbing anymore.

Default I have been lucky so far....

The guys I have mostly worked with let guys do what they want, so life is good, and I have chose to ignore most of the shit they are coming up with. But some of the new guys have said stuff like you got to. My reply is I don't gotta do shit. I will take the heat if and when it comes, but I can only play the ignorance card for so long.

Some change is good, but most of this shit, well its just shit.
    Last edited by johnbellamy; 03-27-2008 at 09:06 PM.

Back in my day we didnt use a harness in the bucket we used our body belts and saftey. Fortunately I have never been exposed to the bucksqueze but I already know I would hate it. May work fine on a clean pole but jus how many of those are there? I cant begin to imagine usin one on a sewed up leaning corner pole. I spoze it like Swamp sez we are resistant to change........ With that said just imagine the changes that have taken place since the 1930's or 40's. Felt hats were the order of the day and hydraulics that we all use daily didnt exist, for digging, lifting, or ascention. Just imagine what one of the real oldtimers would think about todays methods. Gloving 4kv was risky business and 34.5 was not to be handled by hand.Fiberglass wasnt in the picture either so everything was made of wood and required meticulous care. Mules and wagons, Lottsa men, Cast iron Transformers that weighed a ton.......... I spect the oldtimers would say "Hell I'll stay home and send the wife to do what them boys do"

Default Bucksqueeze?

I want to see how they manuever those things up one of those poles covered with vines.

You know I spent a lot of time climbing poles by hitchhiking or arkansawing as some call it. I always thought it was a very safe method. Never had a fall doing it with that method.

Never saw anyone free climb a weather cracked 90 footer in the winter with a ton of clothes on and the wind blowing like a gale.

With those little back yard buckets and the trend toward URD, I expect climbers will be in museums someday. Progress, you can't beat it.

Default Naw.....

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    Get use to it man.....cause it's gonna Run YOU OVER.

You WILL Do it, or ya won't be in Linework anymore. That simple. It's comin to YOUR Hood. It's just a matter of time.
    I think they will look at what they have done and say what the **** were we thinkin?

I think If they tell companies in my hood you got to by buckets for everyone, bucksqueeze for everyone, gloves and sleeves and say glove everything, throw your sticks out, Naw that ain't goin fly around here.

I WON'T DO IT, and I will still do linework, bucksqeeze, I will fight it and say it is more unsafe because of pole top rescue, climbing busy poles where you have enough problems with one skid. Its not a practical tool to use in linework, somebody will have to show how efficent they can be with one of those ****ers, not just go up a clean pole. I ain't buyin it.

We have to re certify every year to climb and be efficent at pole top rescue, So climb however you want when your certified your a big boy,
    or go someplace else to do linework, not in my hood.

Quote Originally Posted by lineman4aep View Post
    I am getting ready to go back to lineman school, C-300, in april and they are going to train us in the bucksqueeze. I was wondering if there was any tricks or tips to using the thing? The guys that already have them seem to be having a rough time getting use to it. Thanks
    i've found that if you put your right hand in the carabeiner and left hand on the yellow handel and keep it a little loose its a lot easier to slide up the pole. take two steps and slide it up. don't fight it cause it'll just tire your arms out. I use a second retractable seatbelt type safety and belt in above an obstruction, then I can loosen up the bucksqueze and swivel it around to open it up and get it above the obstruction. coming down is a lot easier and smoother with gravity on your side. i've also found its a lot easier and quicker to just use a 28 ft ladder to get you above the secondary.

Wink The cable gay

Quote Originally Posted by topgroove View Post
    i've found that if you put your right hand in the carabeiner and left hand on the yellow handel and keep it a little loose its a lot easier to slide up the pole. take two steps and slide it up. don't fight it cause it'll just tire your arms out. I use a second retractable seatbelt type safety and belt in above an obstruction, then I can loosen up the bucksqueze and swivel it around to open it up and get it above the obstruction. coming down is a lot easier and smoother with gravity on your side. i've also found its a lot easier and quicker to just use a 28 ft ladder to get you above the secondary.
    A lineman using a ladder on a perfectly good wooden pole? That tells me this bucksq@#^% isn't worth a s#!t.

Thumbs down

lineman4aep asked a question and I answered it honestly. Yea the bucksqueeze is a pain but the fact of the matter remains. It is what it is. You may not agree with all these rediculous safety rules your employer comes up with but its their table, their cards and their chips. We're just the players. The comment about the ladder was simply the honest truth. very few backlot poles are nice clean poles. most have several risers on them, pole steps, cable tv and telephone drops making mandatory use of the bucksqueeze not practicle. If you ever had to use one You'ld understand the situation.