Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default NON-Union outfits

Featured Sponsor

I'm trying to compile a list of some of the larger and reputable NON-Union contractors throughout the USA for possible employment. Got any recommendations?

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

I got a suggestion... IBEW its the only way to go. But look around. Some halls are better than others and some aint worth shit. Watch the boards and you can kinda tell where the good places to work.

I do have a question. Why are you looking for non-union contractors? Yeah theres a few decent non-union contractors but why work for peanuts when you can be workin for filet mignon? One guy on here stated it best when he compared the pays. You can be a non-union contractor and drive a pick up or work union and drive a Cadillac. I prefer the later of the two.. Also there are many munis and co ops that are hiring all over.

Quote Originally Posted by Special ED View Post
    I got a suggestion... IBEW its the only way to go. But look around. Some halls are better than others and some aint worth shit. Watch the boards and you can kinda tell where the good places to work.

I do have a question. Why are you looking for non-union contractors? Yeah theres a few decent non-union contractors but why work for peanuts when you can be workin for filet mignon? One guy on here stated it best when he compared the pays. You can be a non-union contractor and drive a pick up or work union and drive a Cadillac. I prefer the later of the two.. Also there are many munis and co ops that are hiring all over.
    When it comes time to graduate from NLC i don't want to be that guy that doesnt have a job lined up. I've applied to three different JATC's and had an interview with one so far. It obviously did not go so well based on where they ranked me on the list. I'd like to get in with a union apprenticeship program, however, i'm not going to sit around with false hopes while being a number on a list.

If it takes working for a non-union outfit for my apprenticeship then that's what i'll do.

Where you from and wanting to work?

Default How bad do you want it?

IBEW apprentiships don't just fall out of the sky.

What are you prepared to do?

Have you sent out resumes to every Union utility?

Have you applied for any groundman openings?

Have you looked at applying for jobs where they have Jouneyman posistions, some places can't find Journeyman, so they might hire you, and train you after they have tried you out as a grunt.

Are you willing to relocate?

Have you gone places and asked if you could go out with crews and observe? You got to do something that seperates you from the rest.

If your first jatc interview did'nt go well, what have you learned from it? what must you do next time to be at the top of the list?

I don't care who you are, your not going to get ever job you apply for, it don't work that way, just because you payed money to go to line school dosen't mean a job is a lock.

So how bad do you want it? Nobody's goin hold your hand, Don't take the easy way, but if you choose to, don't blame the Union.
    Last edited by johnbellamy; 04-12-2008 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Special ED View Post
    Where you from and wanting to work?

I'm in California and willing to relocate anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbellamy View Post
    IBEW apprentiships don't just fall out of the sky.

What are you prepared to do?

Have you sent out resumes to every Union utility?

Have you applied for any groundman openings?

Have you looked at applying for jobs where they have Jouneyman posistions, some places can't find Journeyman, so they might hire you, and train you after they have tried you out as a grunt.

Are you willing to relocate?

Have you gone places and asked if you could go out with crews and observe? You got to do something that seperates you from the rest.

If your first jatc interview did'nt go well, what have you learned from it? what must you do next time to be at the top of the list?

I don't care who you are, your not going to get ever job you apply for, it don't work that way, just because you payed money to go to line school dosen't mean a job is a lock.

So how bad do you want it? Nobody's goin hold your hand, Don't take the easy way, but if you choose to, don't blame the Union.

I've been on the locals groundman books for months. They're trying to get away from having groundman positions. I've done pretty much everything by the book, so to speak. I understand nothings going to fall in my lap. I dont want anything given to me. I'm willing to do what it takes and then some to get the job. I've learned quite a bit from the interview i just had. I definately don't blame the union for the low number. My lack of experience with interviewing is to blame. It wont happen again.

Default That's what I like to here,

Like I said there are alot of smaller utilities that have had lineman openings for a long time, I have worked at places where they hire grunts, or apprentice trainee's because they need bodies, I will PM you those, but it won't hurt you to get a list of all of them, send them a resume and a letter explaining your situation, they will see you are doing what you can by the schooling you have, who know's, but at this point you got nothing to loose.

We all had to start somewhere.

Swamp he is in Cali..

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    Depends on where you're located. Bein as your profile don't say shit.

Got any experience?
    Or ya just, "fresh off the street"?

Pike Electric is basically east of the Miss. river, but also in Texas. Damn good company, no matter what ya hear on here.

Check em out.

http://www.pike.net/
    Thanks! I'll check them out.
    I'm about a month into NLC. I have a full Class A CDL with all endorsements and First Aid/CPR. Not much but it's just a start of what's to come.