Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Climbers for concrete poles

Featured Sponsor

I know they use a claw type climber in some countries to climb concrete poles. I've even worn them in El Salvador years ago. I need to find out a company name so I can reserch them and get pricing on a quantity of climbers.

Any help on the board here?

Thanks

RWD

Lightbulb Some of the European teams....

at the International Lineman's Rodeo,like some of the teams from the U.K. wear them. If you are going or know someone that's going,it is in the middle of September. You could probably find out then. Also i don't know if this would ever work,but i have often wondered if it would work for concrete poles; there is a method of climbing using ropes on your feet that go around the pole and catch your weight to allow you to step up or down. I believe it is called the "Strobo method" of climbing. I have only seen it in books,never heard of or seen anyone nor heard of anyone that has done it or knows how. Be interesting to find out if you come up with something.
    Last edited by Fiberglass Cowboy; 08-13-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Default Strobo

The man in the picture was a good freind of mine named Beto. We taught that method in El Salvador. Beto "Gilberto Ayalla" is now in the Dominican republic. We assisted in translating the Merchant training program into Spanish for Central and South America. One of our tasks was to introduce existing methods used. The strobo was one of the items we added to the Merchant program.

Our delema is this. Currently in the country we are dealing with, they are using ladders. Ladders suck on poles. We thought about the Strobo method, but are concerned that the kids would see it and try to mimick it. We are afraid some might get into the lines and get killed. That said, we may wind up using strobo's if we can't come up with a contact for the c clamp pole climbers in time for the order to be made.

Thanks, RWD

Default You might...

send a P.M. to some of the U.K. linemen on here, like BigClive or some of the others and ask them about it.

Default I figured ..

Clive would have jumped into this by now. Or maybe one of the Aussies or the Irish lads. We'll see soon enough as the sun is about to come up over the Isles.

RWD

Sorry it's a reply in the negative RWD but I'm not aware of any climbers for use on concrete poles in this country. As far as I know, we have very few concrete poles, all the ones in my area are donkeys years old, small cross-section so you wouldn't want to climb them any way, and only used on the LV system. They are all overdue for replacement.

Mac
    No job too big or tall.

Default Good for you guys!

Concrete poles are some asshole engineers idea of saving trees. They are a safety hazard in the extreme but that does not seem to matter to the engineers that like them. They lower the BIL of a structure and they require larger more expensive equipment to work with .. they are also fragile until set. They are not eco freindly either. Concrete and steel are not renewable resources like wood it. Sorry, I'll get off my box now.

I work mostly in countries where there are no digger derricks or bucket trucks. If there were the roads would not sustain them and the local mechanics could not maintain them.

Wood the "only" eco freindly power pole.

RWD

Talking

RWD,

Hope this aint too late for ya!!

http://www.clydesdale.ltd.uk/view_pr...tionIndexID=56

This is a british utility supply house, hopefully they can fulfill oyur requirements or at least point you in the right direction
    HAM AND EGGS - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.

Quote Originally Posted by RWD View Post
    Clive would have jumped into this by now. Or maybe one of the Aussies or the Irish lads. We'll see soon enough as the sun is about to come up over the Isles.

RWD
    I missed this thread because I was working away with limited Internet access. I'm not sure we have that many concrete poles in the UK, it's mostly wood and steel. Australia uses the concrete poles but seems to work mainly with ladders.

A search on Google for:-
    climbers for concrete poles
    Came up with various random manufacturers and suppliers, notably in Poland and Italy.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Default Thanks Clive!

Featured Sponsorr

HotGlover got my attention and I've passed his info on to the powers that be! Thanks a bunch! I was not looking forward to teaching climbing with ropes!

RWD