Electrocution in Ark.
Yesterday (Monday, June 2nd) a lineworker was killed in Paris,Ark. From what I read they were working on storm damage. This was a contractor working for City of Paris,Ark. ( a municipal I presume). I think 4 men were working on a double circuit line. The bottom circuit was de-energized and the top still hot. A tree or limb fell on the top circuit and brought it into contact with the bottom circuit. This killed one man and sent 2 to the burn center. The other man was treated and released. That's about all I know. Wheather they had it grounded etc. I don't know. You can probably learn more by looking on line.
Sorry to hear about the loss of a Brother. This is something that the suits sometimes forget, that even if you do everything right, things can still go wrong.
I used to tell my apes, that unfortunately to have a long accident free life as a lineman takes luck, make sure you follow all your rules and use common sense and cut down on the times you are relying on luck.
Injured Utility Workers On Mend
Injured Utility Workers On Mend
Wednesday, June 4, 2008 10:13 AM CDT
By Hicham Raache
TIMES RECORD • [email protected]
Two Ozark utility crew workers are recovering in a Little Rock hospital from severe injuries they suffered alongside a co-worker who was electrocuted Monday.
Daniel Scott Stover of Ozark died Monday when he and four fellow utility crew members attempted to repair a downed power line on Wiggins Road in Paris, according to Steve King, the owner of the Ozark-based C&N Electric, 106 Second St.
“A tree had blown over onto (the power line) and pulled the wires onto the ground,” King said. “My crew was trying to get the brush off of it so they could get the line back in the air.”
While removing the brush to recover the deactivated power line, the C&N crew came in contact with an energized OG&E line, King said.
“We knew the (OG&E) line was energized,” King said. “We did not foresee how the line could get into it.”
The electrical jolt from the live wire struck three members of the crew in a flash. Stover was killed and Jeremy Looney and Robert Pyron were both severely injured.
Looney and Pyron are both currently in stable condition at Arkansas Children’s Hospital burn unit in Little Rock. Looney suffered third-degree burns to 25 percent of his body. The lower portion of Pyron’s left leg was so badly damaged it had to be amputated, King said.
King said he is currently working with OG&E officials to identify what exactly transpired when Stover was electrocuted and his colleagues injured.
“We looked it over and thought it was a no-fault accident,” he said.
Utility crews have worked around the clock to address power outages since a gathering of thunderstorms pounded west central Arkansas on Sunday.
Approximately 17,500 power outages were initially reported across Sebastian, Crawford, Franklin, Logan and Johnson counties.
As of Tuesday, Arkansas Valley Electric has restored power to each customer who reported an outage, according to Greg Davis, Arkansas Valley spokesman.
Only about 20 OG&E customers remain without power, Rob Ratley, manager of community affairs for OG&E, said Tuesday afternoon.
Jesus man, I get SOOO TIRED of reading this last little bit that is ALWAYS put in stories where linemen got killed or seriously hurt. Who gives a **** how many people were without power? I'm more worried about the guy/woman or the crew that got hurt. If the people want to ***** about being without power I'd tell them where to go if I was a spokesman (I wouldnt be employed long). This is truly a sad situation.
Originally Posted by CPOPE
There is no telling how many times I've written OSHA about trying to have a safety program that is nationwide and covers any and every IOU, Cooperative, Muni, etc.
EDIT: CPOPE I wasnt directing that at you, was directing my anger towards the writers that always put this crap in their stories.
Truly, truly sad about our lost Brother and our injured Brothers.
The storms in the Midwest put us under the gun and have us working loooong hours in less than favorable conditions with a lot of factors that put us at risk. Stay alert guys, follow your safety rules and listen to your crew mates and the little voice in your head that we all hear at times telling us not to do it that way or to get help.
I too am sick of the media overlooking or ignoring the things we go through to get and keep the lights on, I'm also sick of hearing our media spokespeople comment about "all available crews are working to restore the outages" amazing when you find out that out of 25 guys, 24 were apparently unavailable and you're the only one out there. Be safe guys.
just a not so simple question
This may be one of those never ending scenarios where we can argue all day.........but lets just say the crew had a clearance on the bottom circuit,would that change the fact that the top circuit was left hot,or would your company proceedures require you to isolate a section of the top circuit.......here its almost written in stone when it comes to a clearance,but this type is rare and I can see where they may be different views on which way to handle it if and where it happens again.