Smile Missouri Valley Course Iowa

Featured Sponsor

hi i am a newbie here just curious what are some of the things covered in the 40 hour course i am 38 years old, i am motivated and excited about getting an interview and i am interested in the course itself any info would be appreciated, thanks

Lightbulb Had a good friend of mine....

That went through that pre-apprentice course for an IBEW (Contractors) apprenticeship. It's pole climbing mostly. The how to's, the do's and don'ts. Familiarizing you with linemen's climbing equipment and pole climbing. If i remember right, i think he said he had to be able to climb to the top of a 60' pole, circle once and come back down safely to graduate the course at the end of the week. Not sure if he had to learn poletop-hurtman rescue at that time or later on. Bad thing is, the older guys usually have a tougher time learning to climb vs. the younger guys. It's easier to defy gravity when your 18 or 20 and in good shape, and you don't have a care in the world. Good luck though. Hope the info helps.
    Last edited by Fiberglass Cowboy; 08-24-2008 at 10:33 PM.

You're strapped in the entire time by some Pole-Top Reel thingy that will not let you fall more than 6 inches. So get after it.....the worst that can happen is you bump your nose on the pole when you cut-out then the reel will catch you. Make them young-uns look like punks. You have to free climb the 60 and do it again hitch hiking it, there's a cross-arm about 35-40' you gotta go over.

You get to watch a bunch of movies and complete some cheezy work book too. They also throw some ugly accidents(movies/pics) your way, almost like scare tactics to try and make sure this is what you really want to do. We got to watch Slim the Lineman at the end, not a bad movie.

Try all kinds of climbing gear, they have a bunch up there - so you'll get a feel for what you'll want to buy.

thanks a lot for answering my post guys i like the talk about givin the young punks a run for there money i have been running every night and swimming i am very focused on succeeding i almost went to school 20 years ago for it but i was not smart enough to sign up i can't wait for my interview i will succeed for myself and family thanks again guys!

Featured Sponsorr

Sounds like a pre-apprenticeship filter to make sure the applicants have a head for heights, are in suitable physical shape and realise the dangers involved. Sounds like a good idea to me.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com