Thread: RTE switches

joeholl Guest

Default RTE switches

Featured Sponsor

Wondering how many of you use RTE Air Switches. We began using spring loaded air switches about six years ago. Recently, we have been having a problem with them tracking over phase to phase in a few occasions and phase to ground sometimes. We began inspecting all of the switches and found six of them with corona and track marks. We are using the fiberglass air switch on a 25kv system. Has anyone else experienced this?

Default switch problems and more

I am glad to see questions like this. Byron and I agree that this forum is the perfect format for t-men to share their experiences. Spread the word.

Cool milestone,

Quote Originally Posted by joeholl View Post
    Wondering how many of you use RTE Air Switches. We began using spring loaded air switches about six years ago. Recently, we have been having a problem with them tracking over phase to phase in a few occasions and phase to ground sometimes. We began inspecting all of the switches and found six of them with corona and track marks. We are using the fiberglass air switch on a 25kv system. Has anyone else experienced this?
    A lot is lost in translation on this site.

Are you referring to GOAB (gang operated air break) switches?

It becomes frustrating sometimes trying to figure out different names for some equipment.

'Far as my experience, I have operated most switchgear.

From single throw (muscle powered) GOAB to individually operated blades to all maner in between.

Although I have not asked here, I assume our high amperages on our feeders prohibit GOAB's, as the speed of operation depends on human power.

If these are the type switches that you refer to, or even if not, I too would like to hear opinions.

4. Exclamation s&c sitch gear

Featured Sponsorr

i posted this on the othre t -man sight but to cover all the bases the system 13 k 7620 have been having s w grear with 1 or 2 1000 run 3 phase 1 -2 runs of 1/0 or 4/0 fuse 100 e on down steam side no faults on cables and no outages reported just comes in as tx fire . cannot find any animals or mach . problems and no water in s w pit some has melted fuses and damaged terms but still opreates open and closes some we have had to leave inservice due to lack of inventory problems no common ties or reason no weather or damage from man . any help would help