Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Applying Grounds/voltage

Featured Sponsor

Just curious if the rules are different from utility to utility....In my state, I believe, or maybe its just my utility, 13k and over you need to put a set of grounds up...If its 4kv or under, the only thing necessarry is an open air-gap (ex.cutout door open, load break open)..For 4kv the cutout door is taken down and comes with us and a tag is placed on the pole indicating that crews are working on the feeder....Just curious how the grounding procedure works for different areas, what voltages require grounding, although i guess for safety its up to the crew chief if he wants 4kv grounded if he sees a need and his linemen feel safer with them up, because it certainly doesn't hurt....

Also, if its grounded and tested dead, can you work on the primary with leathers on or do the need class 2's and sleeves? I don't know how other places do it...I would always wear rubbers, but thats preference i guess....
    Last edited by freshjive; 12-11-2008 at 11:33 PM.

Default Applying Grounds

Good Day Freshjive ;

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post . I'm from Canada and I've been a lineman for 22 years .
    I'm curious as to why the distinction between grounding of 13kv and over and not 4kv ? If you want to establish a safe work zone , all conductors should be grounded . The taking of the switches door ( the fuse ) doesn't prevent accidental re-energization . ie adjacent energized circuits coming in to contact , or just induction .
    Also what would be the point to isolate a circuit , but still wear your rubber gloves . You may as well work it energized .
    Here in Ontario Canada , we work on one of 2 things . Energized circuits or Grounded circuits . Isolated circuits provide no protection .
    If they provide you a choice , choose grounded .
    ________
    starcraft II replays
    ________
    Van
    Last edited by copperpenny; 02-08-2011 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by freshjive View Post
    Just curious if the rules are different from utility to utility....In my state, I believe, or maybe its just my utility, 13k and over you need to put a set of grounds up...If its 4kv or under, the only thing necessarry is an open air-gap (ex.cutout door open, load break open)..For 4kv the cutout door is taken down and comes with us and a tag is placed on the pole indicating that crews are working on the feeder....Just curious how the grounding procedure works for different areas, what voltages require grounding, although i guess for safety its up to the crew chief if he wants 4kv grounded if he sees a need and his linemen feel safer with them up, because it certainly doesn't hurt....

Also, if its grounded and tested dead, can you work on the primary with leathers on or do the need class 2's and sleeves? I don't know how other places do it...I would always wear rubbers, but thats preference i guess....
    I always tested then grounded? i always thought 4kv would kill you just as fast as any other voltage?Underground, backfeed, unforeseen accident?
    GROUND EVERYTHING[/B] Have never heard of such a thing as working grounded wire with your rubs on. Work 230kv with leathers.

Post freshjive

I won't speak for all areas, but in Virginia the State OSHA considers anything over 600 volts to be primary distribution. ALL primary is "Isolate, test, ground"; and actually the places I've worked that was the rule even before the state got in it. The difference below 600 volts is the Isolate step does not require a "visible" opening, it could just be a panel circuit breaker tripped, tested and locked. Also VOSHA does not require grounding secondary.
    Where I work now we work primary 4Kv, 12.5kv, and 34.5kv. There is so little 4kv that we use 12.5 gloves, coverup, and pole specs.

With all the potted porcelien cut-outs that are failing and tracking in the northeast, I wouldn't count on removing a door as an open point.

It does not matter what primary voltage you are working on , you should either be working on it alive or grounded never isolated. Induction can kill you just as easily & depending on the conditions it could be higher than 4 kv

7. Default

if its not grounded, its not dead. i wouldn't trust my life to a tag only. grounds or gloves. 4kv can carry a lot of amps.

Thumbs up Always ground it.

If it's 600 volts or more, test and ground it. Even if you don't think you need to, you could have a car pole down the line and drop 13kv line on you open 4kv you are working ungrounded.

9. Default The more barriers the better.

I agree with all of those who say work it alive with the proper class of gloves, work it de-energized but NEVER isolated even with rubber gloves.
    If it becomes accidently energized by a vehicle accident somewhere else or a traversing conductor parting, what will the voltage be?
    I believe that where ever there is a hot line clamp that connects to the primary phase remove it because you should never take an outage across porcelian or epoxy.
    The Old Lineman

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

We are not allowed to work on anything deenergized unless it is also grounded. In other words you can't deenergize anything and still work it as if it were hot. No more quick fixes. If you had a cracked insulator you can't kill the line put on rubbers and change it out quickly. You either take the time to ground it, or you have to work it hot.