Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default I Couldn't Believe This Poll Why Do You Think This Is Happening?

Featured Sponsor

Heres an interesting read. I wonder why this is going on?

New Poll: 82% of Americans Don’t Want to Join a Union
    Today, the Center for Union Facts (CUF) released a unique new poll which found that 82% of non-unionized American workers would not like their jobs to be unionized. The poll, which was conducted by the Opinion Research Corporation of Princeton, New Jersey, clearly demonstrates that an overwhelming number of Americans have no interest in joining a union.

Despite this, Democratic leadership in Congress continues to push the deceptively-named Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA), which would effectively force millions of Americans into unions against their will by eliminating their right to a secret ballot vote. This poll indicates that there is no national mandate for a dramatic change in the law to make it easier to unionize. It further exposes the fact that EFCA’s backers are a small group of labor elites trying to push legislation that goes against the interests of America’s workforce.

Unlike labor unions and their affiliated front groups who refuse to release any of their polls’ methodology, CUF’s poll is a straight-forward measurement of Americans interest in joining a union. In addition to gathering basic demographic information, we asked the following two questions to respondents (n = 1,142) who indicated that they were currently employed.

Are you or is someone in your immediate family in a labor union?

Yes: 20%
    No: 79%

Of those that answered “no”, we asked:

Would you like your job to be unionized?

Yes: 13%
    No: 82%

Margin of Error: +/- 2%

Click here to download a complete description of the poll methodology

“Union leaders can no longer hide behind unsubstantiated claims regarding non-existent support for the Employee Forced Choice Act,” said Rick Berman Executive Director of the Center for Union Facts. “It is clear that the vast majority of Americans have seen the problems associated with unionization and have no interest in paying dues to union officials.”

“Our polling methodology and data are available to the public for review. If union leadership wasn’t trying to hide the fact that an overwhelming number of Americans oppose their efforts, they would do the same.”

The Union isn't what it used to be. Not even close. This poll doesn't surprise me a bit.(especially when conducted in a recession). I could get carried away with this one but I won't. It's a pretty shitty time right now for alot of folks.

Blog Entries

Interesting read???? The center for union facts is a quasi employer backed anti union org. What do you think their poll would reveal??? Dope
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

It is amazing that the union thread has been co-opted by two posters who are anti-union. Maybe we should start a forum about non-union,anti-organized labor. Then maybe we could get back to having a pro-union tone in the union forum.

5. Default Anti Union Statements

I Must Disagree With The Anti Union Statements. I Am Very Concerned About Where The Unions Are Heading Today. To Sell Their Memberships Down The River Is Total B.s.!! Whether You Want To Admit Or Not.

It Isn't About Pro Or Anti Union. Its About The State Of Unions Today. Unions Want And Want And Want For Example Employee Free Choice.

When Did Unions Begin To Determine Who Gets Benefits And Who Don't. When Was Age A Factor. Union Seniority Should And Always Prevail, Not Age.

Lets Cut The B.s. The Reasons Unions Are Using Age Is Because They Have Been Told By The Ibew International To Use It To Pass Contracts And Avoid Labor Strife.

Its A Two Sided Beast Seniority Is Good For Some Things Then Age Is Good For Some Other Things

No One On This Forum Has Answered The Questions, Those That Are Strong Unionists.

Does Seniority Prevail Or Doesn't It?

Quit Bashing Me

6. Default I Couldn't Have Said It Better Swamprat

I must agree with Swamprat. His comments are very appropriate at this time. We live in a Democracy. This is a Union Forum. It doesn't say Pro Union or Anti Union.

The comments that have been made by some members of local IBEW 499 are true and factual. We are losing our asses. I feel that as a multiple year union member and dues paying that I should not be discriminated against because of my age.

I shouldn't lose out or anyone else under some magical age either determined by both company and union alike. I have posted numerous with to no avail what is more sacred in a union shop AGE or SENIORITY?

Why can't someone like Organized Labor, SBatts, and all the others answer the simple question. If union then what should decide benefits AGE or SENIORITY?

Please don't bore me with the comments, the body did, your only as strong as your membership etc. Its a simple questions

Everything in a Union Shop is determined by Seniority. But it appears at IBEW Locals 499, 109, 125, that when it comes to the golden benefits Medical and Pension, those that are under a certain age are getting screwed.

I didn't here from my B.A. since I was under 50 I didn't have to pay union dues anymore. No I am going to have to pay more since I am getting a 1.75% raise.

It's amazing the double standard these unions are expecting today from their membership.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by weevy View Post
    I must agree with Swamprat. His comments are very appropriate at this time. We live in a Democracy. This is a Union Forum. It doesn't say Pro Union or Anti Union.

The comments that have been made by some members of local IBEW 499 are true and factual. We are losing our asses. I feel that as a multiple year union member and dues paying that I should not be discriminated against because of my age.

I shouldn't lose out or anyone else under some magical age either determined by both company and union alike. I have posted numerous with to no avail what is more sacred in a union shop AGE or SENIORITY?

Why can't someone like Organized Labor, SBatts, and all the others answer the simple question. If union then what should decide benefits AGE or SENIORITY?

Please don't bore me with the comments, the body did, your only as strong as your membership etc. Its a simple questions

Everything in a Union Shop is determined by Seniority. But it appears at IBEW Locals 499, 109, 125, that when it comes to the golden benefits Medical and Pension, those that are under a certain age are getting screwed.

I didn't here from my B.A. since I was under 50 I didn't have to pay union dues anymore. No I am going to have to pay more since I am getting a 1.75% raise.

It's amazing the double standard these unions are expecting today from their membership.
    I answered your question in response to your PM a few weeks ago, I stated my opinion on age and disparate conditions and benefits. If you didnt read it, I said I was diametrically opposed to it. Do you think your local was the first or will be the last to face and decide this difficult question? Well, fact of the matter is, it happens all too often. I dont like it, I wasnt at the table when your CBA was bargained, neither were you so you dont have a clue on what your committee faced. If you have such a problem with your local, run for office, if you dont have the balls or wherewithall to run, shut your effen pie hole and let the people who have some backbone do it. Every local has a few like you, show up at your meeting, chirp, piss and moan from the last row of seats but never have the balls to stand up and help the local. Ever do labor walks? Man phone banks? Or other volunteer work for the local? I doubt it.......
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

8. Default Organized Labor My Thoughts

FIRST OFF MY CONSCIOUS WOULDN'T ALLOW ME TO SELL SO MANY UNION PEOPLE DOWN THE ROAD. THAT IS WHY I COULDN'T ALLOW MYSELF TO RUN FOR A UNION POSITION.

I HAVE INTEGRITY!!!!!!!! MY CONSCIOUS WOULDN'T ALLOW ME TO AGREE WITH THE INTERNATIONAL. REMEMBER ORGANIZED IT ISN'T JUST THE LOCAL IT IS ALSO THE REGIONAL IBEW OFFICE AS WELL YOU ARE REPORTING TO.

THEY IN TURN THEN REPORT TO THE D.C. OFFICE GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT IS EASIER SAID THEN DONE GOT IT

NO I WASN'T ON THE BARGAINING COMMITTEE WHEN THEY OPENED THEIR BROWN ENVELOPE UNDER THE TABLE AND COUNTED THE BENJAMIN FRANKLINS, FORGIVE ME FOR MY CYNICISM

I KNOW YOU DON'T AGREE WITH THE AGE, BUT YOU SEE THAT IS WHERE THE BELOVED IBEW IS GOING. YOU MAY LOVE IT, I DON'T

AND OH BY THE WAY SHOVE IT UP YOUR ARSE, AND YOU STICK IT IN YOUR PIE HOLE.

KEEP DRINKING THE IBEW UNIONS KOOL AID

9. Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by mainline View Post
    It is amazing that the union thread has been co-opted by two posters who are anti-union. Maybe we should start a forum about non-union,anti-organized labor. Then maybe we could get back to having a pro-union tone in the union forum.
    I have stated that unions have problems with getting a good contract now a days. For some one to come on and bash unions on a union site are just trying to stir the pot. Let hear your ideas what to do. I would like to see these guys try to bargain with the company with out a union. If you don't like it then do something about it besides shooting your mouth off. Maybe you are not union so you can't? Any one knows that pensions are based on age not seniority. Medical are the same for all. So I don't get your point. The reason the polls turn out the way it did is the people making up the questions are anti union. Most people have never been in a union now a days and don't have a clue. I have been on both sides and the union is much better even with the problems we have. In time things will even out. Mark my words. In a union majority rules sorry but them are the facts. Just like this election obama and the Dem's won so we all have to live with it. Only other thing I can say this is a free country if you guys don't like your union get out. No one will stop you.

10. Default Union

Featured Sponsorr

Ok its a union thread then. Why just come on and blow hot air. If you don't like the way unions work just go work nonunion. Its as simple as that. Like I said I didn't like the way the contracts are split between older and younger. The union is majority vote rules. Yes its a secret ballot. I screamed my head off too only difference it was at a union meeting and that is where it belongs. Swamp what you don't and can't understand is these guys are not real union men. They are just on to stir the pot. They don't impress me at all. Even though I agree with some of the points they make. We had a knock down drag out fight and my side lost. It was close but our benefit plan went away. Other times we gained it depends on a lot of things. Its the give and take of the bargaining process. You don't get all you want but sometimes the company loses too. Again they like to stir up things. Why I don't know. What are they adding to the discussion? Nothing. Its all hot air.