Page 1 of 56 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Default First Energy Strike

Featured Sponsor

Which company went out?What did they want the union to give back? You know Tony has to keep the corp.JET!

Default Strike

I know Penelec went out on strike last night Thursday May 21st. I think there hoping MetEd joins them in the fight against First Energy. I believe there fighting over 24/7 shift work, wage freezes, and a bunch of other stuff that First Energy is trying to shove down there throats.

Default Met ed joining

When we were on strike in New jersey, we had hoped that Penelec and Met ed would join us, but the locals will do (must do really) what is best for the membership. With the exception of the zero increase for wages, new jersey has had the phones for 24 hour coverage, meal reduction, and a variety of give backs that have been introduced in the last 2 contracts. The company seems to want to nail the workers down and control on and off time to lower their cost and need to hire. FE is big, record profits last year and quarter, lots of lawyers, foreman and managers frothing to go to penelec to make some money on the strikers back.

And as far as the company being worried that employees would leave, I have heard it said that when we leave, then they would worry about it. Not a lot of fear from them on that. But when people leave, retire, go on strike and say the hell with this and go somewhere else, at some point this will make a difference, and be noticed by the puc, bpu, and public. And they are the only ones with influence over the company and therefore get respect from the company, to get them to bend and change the way they operate.

If you take a look in Ohio, how the regulators changed the rules for FE and is impacting the bottom line for the company, you will see what this company fears. If the politicians and the regulators get involved in the strike you will see the company take notice. If met ed joins the strike, you will see the company get stretched and have to spend some money when they are crying poverty!!!

So for the penelec guys, I am praying for bad weather in your districts, and for met ed, I hope you get a fair contract or join penelec and both of you get a fair contract.

Maybe someday the employees will be worth more to the company than the trucks...
    Be wary of a power company with more lawyers than lineman!!!

Default great article

Be wary of a power company with more lawyers than lineman!!!

Corporate GREED has gotten out of control at First Energy with the company making a record profit of 1.3 billion dollars last year. The strike isnt as much about a wage increase as it is the working condition changes. Duty Crew 24/7 coverage, elimination of the gloving rule and hotstick agreement,........

"elimination of the gloving rule,hot stick agreement"??..please elaborate..

All of the holding companies are doing the same thing. I think they must have the same managment scumbag handbook. We here at CMP are hoping that the regulators become more aware of the fact that these labor dispute span multiple states and show a pattern of disregard for the employees and ultimately the public. I wish you guys luck in your dispute, as do all of us here at IBEW 1837.

The elimanation of the gloving rules and hotstick agreement opens the door for the company to have lineman glove and stick ANY size wire and they(company) determines how many lineman it takes to do the job....just to name a few examples of what they want. And who in there right mind wants a one year contract just to turn around a year later and lose more of what our Brothers have stood up for, for the last 100 years!

9. Default

Have you been able to get a STRIKE authorization from the international ?MEC couldn't get backing from them.

Default penelec strike

Featured Sponsorr

We have the backing of the international. They the I.O. are fully aware of how the anti-employee FirstEnergy operates! FE never follows the contract book even when we do have a contract. Therefore this creates hundreds on hundreds of grievances amongst the members. I have never seen such SOLIDARITY between the members as i have now in my past 20 years! When a contract is voted down by a 93% margin that should tell you what kind of garbage is in the offer.