Default new distances between phase and nuetral

Featured Sponsor

we are now starting to change the distance between our phase to neutral from 4 foot to 8 foot..we're on 14.4 phase to gound..any one else deal with this type of frameing..what is the good and bad of it..the only bad thing i've experieced is our service buckets won't reach the top of the new poles we're having to set to get the clearences on cable..we went from setting 40' poles to 50'..the 10 feet made a big difference..

Default Im guessing here

your talking about shielded construction ,nuetral on top. Could be they are trying to increase the shield on the phases. It helps in areas with high lightning rates.Weve done it on some areas where the line is out in the wide open and lightning is a problem it seems to have helped, along with installing arrestors at regular intervals.

Koga

Default short buckets big poles

Featured Sponsorr

we set nothing but 50's for 3 phase primary and the neutral goes 8' 6" below the arm. I guess this is to keep the 18' daredevils as far as possible from the 19.2 phase to ground...the power companies tmen have 40' buckets too, but i don't know how they fix anything, except to open it up and leave it for a crew