Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Automatic sleeves

Featured Sponsor

i know almost everyone has used the automatic tension sleeves on primary wire. But i ran into a situation where one was used on a slack span and failed. Well no surprise being it's a tension sleeve. The sleeve might had already been on the wire before the job was built or could have been put in by accident but never really thought about them failing on a slack span. anyone else have this problem. The wire was 4 aaac used on 14.4.

just say no Guest

Default what

did you make some overtlme on it????? otherwise who cares......

Trubbleman for ComEdy Guest

Talking auto sleeves

I know of some sleeves still in the system that were put in a slack span long before I was around (15 years) and still hold up both ends of the wire.

Its all temporary I was told years ago.

hacked off Guest

we have had this happen many times. we don't use them on anything less than full tension.

Talking Removing all Auto's

BC Hydro is planning on removing all automatics ( 75,000 ) because the salt air is causing them the fail under fault conditions. Somehow 25 yrs ago they failed to notice the manfacturer said they are for temp repairs only !

Linemo Guest

We are forbidden by our work rules to use them on anything other then full tension spans {guyed spans} all other we are supposed to use crimp sleeves but there are plenty out there we have had some salt contamination failures but not wholesale just a thought but when taking slack out of condutors where the auto sleeves are in the middle of your stap blocks has anyone had problems with them as far as load i know when i do it i like a coil jumper across them if there is any load to speak of any one had any experience like this

Trubbleman for ComEdy Guest

Default Ahead of the times

Comedy still lets us (construction, not me, Ha Howww) put them up. Last time I saw pressed sleeves used was on stuff that was built to carry 138kv in an emergency. Otherwise they go up every day.

Default autos

Both Coops I've worked at use automatics only in full tension spans. The one I'm at now uses them only for trouble calls where time is a major consideration, and you are often working dead wire off hooks. For all planned construction we use comprsssion splices put on with hydraulic tool. However that still means there are thousands of auto sleeves on our system. We used between 1700-1800 just during Hurricane Isabel.

Default Jiffy Sleeves

If memory serves me right I think it is around 15 plus pounds to set the jaws.
    Last edited by OLE' SORE KNEES; 05-25-2005 at 07:26 PM.

Tsplice Guest

Thumbs up Automatic Sleeves

Featured Sponsorr

We use automatic sleeves routinely.We've had a few fail,but then again,we've had compression sleeves fail also on acsr.I love them myself,but would never put them on a slack span and expect them to last very long!Under tension,they look good and they work great! Tsplice