Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pole Changeout

Talking Radar

Featured Sponsor

I was lucky enough to run with a good group of Transmission lineman that took me under their wing as an ape. I was a 2 month ape up a 80 footer changing a spar with the boys when I knew it was for me,older now and wiser I am in distrubution where my body will last longer,the days of climbing inspection from sub to sub has taken it's toll on knees and back,but I would'nt change it if I could go back.You can almost tell ex-hi-liners by the way they climb.For everything has it's season and that 1 is over for me unless I get a wild hair, been known for that occasionally............LOL...take care

Radar Guest

Default "knees...

For those who dont know....back in the day first year FPL apprentices spent most of that year on "climbing inspection" or service trucks.

The Hiline climbing inspection was 4-pole structures a mile...climb up, tighten hardware, sound wood for rot... we'd try to get 2 miles a day or more. 80's 90's...we did some water crossings in around Stuart once....80's on little islands in the river and bay.

When you got off 2 or 3 moths of that you worked with the Serviceman... running OH services, testing and setting meter or doing urd services...

If you still had time left over... working for a line crew or chasing a backhoe on URD

After one year you could work on a Dist. Hotstick crew... we didnt get to glove from isolation untill year 3.

Hahaha.. I think you can tell any old time FPL hand by the way they walk!
    ~Radaf
    Last edited by Radar; 05-26-2005 at 03:01 PM. Reason: edit

Radar Guest

Default Hey Swampy

Did you burn that truck up on Military Trail..on that old 69kv copper line...back in 85 or 86? Out near the Boynton- Delray city limits line.

Or were you that guy from Kohler who wore those 16" Wesco tucked into the courdouroy pants all the time?

Just 'cause you "contracted' from time to time dont get yourself confused about bein' part of FPL
    ~Radar

Default Pole Change-out Time

DB, Just curious, How long did it take you doing it this way? Our's took about 1 -1 1/2 hours with the right crew,one that was used to each other and had it down pat right to the staple.(could'nt do it today everyone is busted up now) I am always looking for a better way.How long did it take?Thanks for the info.

OLE' SORE KNEES
    "still climbin"

dbrown20 Guest

Default Time on pole changeout

I would say about that or maybe a little longer. I remember we used to start from scratch and finish in time to drive somewhere and eat lunch. We didn't carry a lunch pail. Of course that's including drive time etc. The crew was very accustomed to doing this particular method.

Typically Knees we used to haul and spot some poles before setting and transferring them. dbrown20

Default Spotting Poles

We spotted them before too,I think the biggest part of the battle of any job is the right crew make-up where everyone knows and trust thier pole buddy.Everyone is scattered across the state in different places and different roles now,we all say this was a once in a lifetime crew make-up,everybody has there's too if they think about it,can't go back but you can think about memories.

7. Default Expecting lots of Ha Ha's

You guys are talking about speed try this one.
    We had a job to do increasing the weight of counter balance weights on a transmission line along the tracks in Saugus, Mass. Originally the engineers predicted that 150 lbs. of weight (3 only 50 lb. cast iron discs would be enough).They thought another cicuit would be installed on the opposite side of the pole in the future. It didn't happen.
    The X-arms were sagging. We had a Condor telescopic boom 125'. The rental cost $6,000 per month and the least was terminating.
    We panicked. The weather was calm and we had an operator, three linemen and a grunt. Once level we had to go up and do the following:
    1. Ground the phases on 80-90 ft. poles (we tested for potential the first time)
    2. Lift the existing 3 weights on each phase, remove the cotter key, unscrew the nut, lower the weights and add two = 250lbs., now raise it up and reapply the nut and cotter key. All three phases vertical construction.
    3. Remove the grounds and return to the ground.
    We took the bottom boom vertical and the top boom horizontal and just rotated and used the lower boom telescope feature to work it essentially as an elevator.
    Total time (timed by the operator) from ground to ground was 13 minutes, no crap.
    Some will say "your crazy" but imagine trying to do that off a ladder after we lost the Condor. Of course we were young and full of p--- and vinegar in the early 1970's.
    The Old Lineman

Houston, twenty yrs at HL&P then 3 yrs on the road.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by OLE' SORE KNEES
    You can almost tell ex-hi-liners by the way they climb.
    You can always tell an old troubleman by the way they recoil everytime they close a door... I watched in horror one time as an exhighliner choked up on a stick and closed in on an xfmr on 19.9 after a storm... two feet away from the switch is way too close for my taste...
    2Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial matters? 3Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life! 1Corinthians 6