Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
  1. Default

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by T.O_Hydro View Post
    We have three "lineperson" one i believe is in the trouble room and has alot of experience under her belt. One was recntly made up and th eother i believe is a third year app. Goodluck and know down any obstacles put in front of you.
    Hey TO Hydro, Im cool with you callin it Lineman! Lineperson is waaaay too many syllables for me

If you are in So Cal lemme know if anything opens up. Thankfully my father owns a business where he uses his electrical license as well as HVAC and general construction. I will be "hired help" and he can sign off on hours doing work for him when I come home.

Quote Originally Posted by smelliott View Post
    No way Im not postin pics!!!!! Thats just askin to get the p*ss taken outta me when I finally get an apprenticeship. Some guy will be like..........."hey I know you!" Oh man Id never hear the end of it!
    Hey smelliott, from the neck down is allowed on here. No one would recognize you in the future. Might just help! Sorry but I didn't catch your age. lol

Have you really thought about this? Climbing is just the start, see if you can do that first. Lotta tough people thought they could do this job. Most aren't as tough as they thought. Different breed all together. Gonna be a long wait, hope your Dad can employ you until something opens up. Good luck.

PM= private message
    If I wanted to go to work, I would of answered the phone!

Default go for it

go for it. now days women are getting into jobs that men always held. there's not many. i can only think of one in neveda and i think she is a foreman.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Stanman, at ComEdy Il. View Post
    Hey smelliott, from the neck down is allowed on here. No one would recognize you in the future. Might just help! Sorry but I didn't catch your age. lol

Have you really thought about this? Climbing is just the start, see if you can do that first. Lotta tough people thought they could do this job. Most aren't as tough as they thought. Different breed all together. Gonna be a long wait, hope your Dad can employ you until something opens up. Good luck.

PM= private message
    Hey Stanman,

Im on ladders all day so the height wont be too much of a bother (so far anyway) When you say that tough ppl cldnt do it do you mean mentally or physically?

Oh and btw Im 30........ or close to it. I think I'm 30 though. Maybe I'm 29 I was born in 1979 and I STILL get carded everytime I buy alcohol! boooooooooo
    Last edited by smelliott; 08-08-2009 at 05:14 AM.

whats PM??????????????
    How old did you say you were?

Sorry, I'm just pretty dang old and well, I've yet to meet a 30 yr old (thinking of my kids) that hasn't heard of all the internet lingo---phone texting---and such and not know what a PM is. It's just a little strange these days to find someone under the age of 30 that is not tech knowledgeable.

NTTIAWWT, but it is strange.....expecially for a woman.

Hey Stanman,

Im on ladders all day so the height wont be too much of a bother (so far anyway) When you say that tough ppl cldnt do it do you mean mentally or physically?

Oh and btw Im 30........ or close to it. I think I'm 30 though. Maybe I'm 29 I was born in 1979 and I STILL get carded everytime I buy alcohol! boooooooooo
    In climbing school some strong guys couldn't trust their equipment or position themselves to pull x-arms up. Saw smaller, more determined guys pull the arms up. Also saw determined guys that just didn't have the stength fail, regardless of mental toughness. So, to answer your question, you have to be tough in both ways.
    Ladders and poles are alot different, course I'd rather be on a pole or tower than a 3 section ladder.
    This belongs in the other thread but, how do you know someone isn't gonna cut it? When they try and try, then say " I can't", or just gives up! Time to send em' home to momma.
    Whatever happens, good luck.
    If I wanted to go to work, I would of answered the phone!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanman, at ComEdy Il. View Post
    This belongs in the other thread but, how do you know someone isn't gonna cut it? When they try and try, then say " I can't", or just gives up! Time to send em' home to momma.
    Whatever happens, good luck.
    Here is the link to the thread Stan is posting about:

http://www.powerlineman.com/lforum/s...ead.php?t=4916

Good luck to you again. If I came on too strong, pay no nevermind to me! I say "more power to ya girlfriend!" Kinda like break your leg in show bizness.

If you really want it, I hope you make it!

whats PM??????????????

Pre - Menstrual

Never met a female lineworker that was worth a shit... not saying that there aren't any... just haven't met one yet.

The 2 I worked around got through their training and then held up there " I'm a female I can't do that" card all day long.

Another 1 my bud had on his crew was the same...

course they weren't hard to look at, so they were kept on for a year or so... just for kicks.

9. Default

LOL Scamplineman! Some women are such suckas! Then again so are some dudes!
    Im not gonna lie or pretend like I dont know that Im easy on the eyes, but my success has never revolve around it what I look like. As a matter of fact it works against me with matters such as these. Fact is I am quite willing to pull my own weight and like I said before would expect someone to tell me if they felt I wasnt.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Default Line Mechanics

Featured Sponsorr

I have seen a few Ladies try this occupation, early on, I witnessed one try and she burned a pole one day in training and took a huge hunk of wood that slivered off the pole in her thigh. I didn't think that much wood could come off the pole that way. I would guess it was 8 to 10 inches long and big as a finger, not pretty and some stitches and recovery went along to boot. Then one day she took umbridge to a boss's remarks and kicked him square in the berries needless to say she didn't last here long after that, poor attitude I think they said. Then we trained another one up and she was ok but I think there was a lot of favor going on, kinda kept all the softer work for her and one day her husband got transfered and she was gone. As if her job wasn't as important as his I guess. I hate spending time training someone up only to see them pull the pin and leave but it can happen. We have a Lady Line Mechanic on the property now who is as good as most of the guys. I know there are some guys who would argue but they didn't get the full benifit of our diversity program. She can do the work and if I was still climbing I'd work next to her any day. Besides working here she's a Mom, Volunteer Firefighter and triathlete. . . We have more ergonomic tools now. . .heck I knew a guy that couldn't press on a connection with an MD-6 off the pole so it's not a gender issue, it's more of a want to do it issue. Good luck and work safe.