1. Default Boots - Pacs boots vs. Drilines

Featured Sponsor

So I got "the call", climbing boot camp starts Jan. 15th, been going crazy waiting by the phone every day, can't wait to get the ball rolling. I guess I need to pick up a pair of boots and I'm torn between Hoffman Pacs and Drilines. I know boots have been discussed on here but I can't find the answer I'm looking for.
    I'm going to be starting boot camp in the middle of Jan. in NH so I'm leaning towards the pacs, but I have no idea if they are a good idea for learning to climb. I'm also under the impression that most guys who graduate to apprentice up this way are headed for a big job up in ME, so I'm pretty sure I'll get 3 or 4 months out of them before I need to invest in a pair of all leather boots.
    Now on the other hand if pac boots aren't a good idea for beginner climbers will I be able to tough it out in a pair of Drilines for a few months til it warms up, Northeast winters can be brutal.

Any input is appreciated, I'm trying to avoid purchasing a pair of boots to find out after a week or 2 that I need to purchase another pair.
    Thanks, j.w.

sky, I have never heard of Drilines. Maybe the east coast hands will explain what type of boot that is.

Why not go for the best of both worlds... Checkout this hoffman boot... it also has the dri-line name, but it a leather thinsulate boot. Rain, Sleet, snow... I'm thinking of getting this for christmass.

http://www.hoffmanboots.com/ProductI...ductid=10INSDL

Default Nice looking boot Groove

Quote Originally Posted by topgroove View Post
    Why not go for the best of both worlds... Checkout this hoffman boot... it also has the dri-line name, but it a leather thinsulate boot. Rain, Sleet, snow... I'm thinking of getting this for christmass.

http://www.hoffmanboots.com/ProductI...ductid=10INSDL
    They are nice looking boots,knowing what i know now,i would have bought the boots before going to climbing school. Would have broken them in before i hit the poles.

5. Default

Highplains, the drilines are the waterproof version of the hoffman boots.

top, those are some pretty sweet boots, my only concern would be the insulation. With the Pac boots you can buy the different weight insulation inserts and even an extra pair so you can swap them out and use a dry pair every day, and those insulated drilines have 400g insulation, thats pretty heavy duty good for line work in the dakotas, canada and even alaska. I'm no lineman yet but I do some light mountaineering so I have some experience with how to keep warm in frigid temps. I think 100g or even 200g insulation would be suffecient at least for my feet. Just looking for some insight on learning to climb in pac boots.

reppy, I wouldve bought the boots sooner but I was on a 2 year wait list to get the call for boot camp and had no idea when or even if I would get the call, so I had no idea what type of boots I would be needing. So I'm trying to order a pair of boots asap so that I can wear them to my current job for hopefully 2 weeks to get some break in time.

Thanks for the input. j.w.

Default hurry up and wait

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhigh@NE View Post
    Highplains, the drilines are the waterproof version of the hoffman boots.

top, those are some pretty sweet boots, my only concern would be the insulation. With the Pac boots you can buy the different weight insulation inserts and even an extra pair so you can swap them out and use a dry pair every day, and those insulated drilines have 400g insulation, thats pretty heavy duty good for line work in the dakotas, canada and even alaska. I'm no lineman yet but I do some light mountaineering so I have some experience with how to keep warm in frigid temps. I think 100g or even 200g insulation would be suffecient at least for my feet. Just looking for some insight on learning to climb in pac boots.

reppy, I wouldve bought the boots sooner but I was on a 2 year wait list to get the call for boot camp and had no idea when or even if I would get the call, so I had no idea what type of boots I would be needing. So I'm trying to order a pair of boots asap so that I can wear them to my current job for hopefully 2 weeks to get some break in time.

Thanks for the input. j.w.
    There is a saying in the Army,hurry up and wait,even though its been almost 30 yrs since I left the service i still hear that term from the older guys.I remember when Reagan was president in 1982,while I was stationed at Fort Lewis,the Russians were or did invade Poland.We were rushed to Mc Cord airbase to get on a C-141 and head that way,only to wait for hours before returning to the base.Seems like you've been through the waiting game also,that quite a wait and says alot about you,these days most guys would have been fed up and quit,good luck dude.

I can not wear pack boots my feet sweat to much than get cold. I have 2 pair of Drilines 1 for summer & a second 1 for winter that I bought a size larger for heavy socks & my feet are always warm unless it is real cold around -20C.

Ummmmmmmmm Fellers I wud never have made it up there,My feets get cold when the air conditioner is on.

Default what i wore

When I was a helper they would send you to climbing school after about a month.The school was two weeks,what they were doing was filtering out the guys that were scared of heights,no need to stay with the company if heights scared you.Then you would go back to the service center till you went to apprentice school,on average that took about a year.One guy waited years to get in,sombody dropped the ball on that one.I wore jungle boots,the type that marines wore,dont know if they still have them.Anything with a heel will work.

Featured Sponsorr

Well Sky, I guess I might be a fair weathered lineman not to know about Drilines. I wouldn’t go to a lot of expense on boots the first year until you see where you will be working and how much climbing you will be doing the first year. Seems like one needs to know the name of the material and how to frame things on the ground before you do lots of air time. I am cheap so I went to a Fire equipment store that supplies fire departments. Seems like they like to sell items that they have over stocked. I bought a pair of insulated steel toed fireman pull on rubber boots for $60. (LaCrosse) Also they reduce the prices on the FR clothes they display for their shows and I got an unlined FR coat for $45. Also lots of guy like Bunny Boots that they pick up at Army Surplus stores.