1. Default Existing IBEW member to new employer, but they wait 6 months for IBEW?

Featured Sponsor

I just took a job for a municipality after coming from a large utility. I was an A member (or whatever it is for the utilities) and when I left the business manager gave me a reciept showing that I was paid up on my dues, etc to give to the new place.

But the new shop says you don't join the local until after your 6 month probationary period is up. The steward isn't really sure how to handle it and I don't believe he's contacted anyone from the local about it.

Personally I want to join this local, or at least keep my dues paid up.

Any suggestions or has anyone dealt with this before. I called my old business manager but he didn't call me back today...
    IBEW Local 777

Default dues

I might be wrong but you'll need to keep your int. dues (per capita) paid so you don't lose your time towards your retirment!! never heard of a union probationary period only company.

I've been IBEW all my career have worked in so many locals I've lost track... I've also changed locals a few times because I decided to move to where the work was "booming"...momma hated it and so did the kids... but now they thank me for it 'cuz they ended up with a better life and are more cultured for it... all that back story aside... here's a link for ya...

http://ibewminuteman.com/ibew_consti...article-23.php

hope I didn't that right... I'm still learning this computer shit...

any way thats the gist of it from the constitution... some LU's have thier own guidelines though... I remember when I transfered to 424 years ago I went with now vote or voice for 1 year... still think it was because I was from the US...yeah thats a stab at ya CL!!!...

should be pretty to transfer your ticket... just make sure your in good standing...

For what it's worth...

Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    I've been IBEW all my career have worked in so many locals I've lost track... I've also changed locals a few times because I decided to move to where the work was "booming"...momma hated it and so did the kids... but now they thank me for it 'cuz they ended up with a better life and are more cultured for it... all that back story aside... here's a link for ya...

http://ibewminuteman.com/ibew_consti...article-23.php

hope I didn't that right... I'm still learning this computer shit...

any way thats the gist of it from the constitution... some LU's have thier own guidelines though... I remember when I transfered to 424 years ago I went with now vote or voice for 1 year... still think it was because I was from the US...yeah thats a stab at ya CL!!!...

should be pretty to transfer your ticket... just make sure your in good standing...

For what it's worth...

Edge
    This says it all, but to simplify.... You request a Traveling Card (TC) from your old Locals Finacial Secretary. You have one month to deposit it (TC)with the new Local. They present it to their Executive Board for approval. Any problem, contact the Internatioal Vice President's Office in your District.

Hey Avid I dont have an ansewer but congrats on leaving FE!!!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cantwait View Post
    Hey Avid I dont have an ansewer but congrats on leaving FE!!!
    Hey thanks! Everyone congratulated me, and said how sorry they were to have me leave, but happy for me at the same time for getting out. It's a bit different down here, and way more relaxed than FE was.

Thanks Edge and Tolex, I got an email back from the new local and that's the same thing the business manager said to me. Going to do that tomorrow and looks like I'll get in as soon as they bring it up.
    IBEW Local 777

7. Default

I hope the 30 days isn't very strict. I keep making calls and cant get them to return mine. I think I'm going to try and get a hold of the business manager directly from my old local
    IBEW Local 777

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

You should be able to goto the BM and "press your ticket". My local dont have a waiting period for members of other locals. Everyone at my local is required to carry an "A" ticket though.

Congrats on leavin FE though. Glad you made it out and got ya a muni job.

Featured Sponsorr

Alot of places have a probationary period not requiring to join, but there usually is nothing stopping you to join early is you so desire.......Is this a right to work state?