Default Autotransformer/phase splitter

Featured Sponsor

We have a GE autotransformer that we occasionally use when a residential URD service has a bad leg, we hook this thing up and it uses the good leg, splits it and you get two legs of 120 and your 240 so the customer can use their 240 equipment. The problem is that this thing weighs 200-300lbs making it virtually impossible for one guy (troubleshooter) to use, even for two it is tough as the dolly it comes on is so wide, it won't go up the side steps on our buckets.

My question is do any of you guys no of one that is more managable? I tried googling this and wasn't even able to find the GE version that we already have. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

http://www.brooksutility.com/catalog...ail.asp?ID=503

Take a look at these, our utility has had these for years, they make lines, loads, ringless, and ring styles.
    Gives us the option of going to the neighbor and installing one, then laying a short piece of tri-plex on the ground until the bad leg can be repaired.

We use dry transformers to restore power to urd services with one bad leg, I believe they are made by the Von Corporation,they are mounted on dolly's but are still to heavy to load with out a jib and winch or forklift, all our trucks have jibs so it is no problem, I have never had a problem wheeling them in to the meter can by myself, used them for the past 12 or so years and have'nt seen a problem with them yet.

Thanks for the info guys, our GE needs to be loaded with a jib/hoist also, too much for one man (at least this man) very easy to use once it lands at the jobsite though.

Featured Sponsorr

They probably use the autotransformer because of its cheapness and simplicity. To make a lightweight electronic version would be quite complicated since it would have to rectify and smooth the incoming single phase, probably isolate it through a small high frequency transformer, convert the output of that to DC then re-generate the two new phases using a high power IGBT bridge and filter.

really way too complicated for such a low demand item.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com