Threaded View

Default Lineman degree from college vs lineman school , like sltc

I live in Michigan. There are 3 programs in the whole state for linework. I am going to school at Delta college right now for electrical linework. The semester is about to end, and I've been wondering if I'm making the right choice. The program here is connected to consumers energy and a couple other utility companies. I'm told that the pole climbing class is actually taught by consumer energy workers. The program will take me about 2 years to complete, and with scheduling issues to get my certificate, it should allow me to finish with an associates degree. Then I will be able to become an apprentice. My problem is that I am 26 years old, and I like to get started sooner than later. I wanted advice on if the route I'm going will be any better than going to a lineschool like sltc for about 15 weeks or 6 months (i don't know how long the program is). I have applied for albat, but am pretty far down on the list. I know a lot off guys on here shake there heads at school, but I just want to get in an apprenticeship as soon as possible. I am pretty happy about the school working with consumers, because I'd prefer to work for a utility company (at least i assume). I also like to get an associates so I can supervise when my body won't hold up anymore(but i could always get a degree later. any opions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. p.s. does anyone know anything about being a substation guy?

p.p.s. can anyone tell me the type of wage that is paid in this are of the country? on websites for a journeyman lineman, i am coming to the conclusion its between 30-35 per hour.
    Last edited by linestudent; 12-04-2009 at 01:17 AM.