Default Lineman degree from college vs lineman school , like sltc

Featured Sponsor

I live in Michigan. There are 3 programs in the whole state for linework. I am going to school at Delta college right now for electrical linework. The semester is about to end, and I've been wondering if I'm making the right choice. The program here is connected to consumers energy and a couple other utility companies. I'm told that the pole climbing class is actually taught by consumer energy workers. The program will take me about 2 years to complete, and with scheduling issues to get my certificate, it should allow me to finish with an associates degree. Then I will be able to become an apprentice. My problem is that I am 26 years old, and I like to get started sooner than later. I wanted advice on if the route I'm going will be any better than going to a lineschool like sltc for about 15 weeks or 6 months (i don't know how long the program is). I have applied for albat, but am pretty far down on the list. I know a lot off guys on here shake there heads at school, but I just want to get in an apprenticeship as soon as possible. I am pretty happy about the school working with consumers, because I'd prefer to work for a utility company (at least i assume). I also like to get an associates so I can supervise when my body won't hold up anymore(but i could always get a degree later. any opions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. p.s. does anyone know anything about being a substation guy?

p.p.s. can anyone tell me the type of wage that is paid in this are of the country? on websites for a journeyman lineman, i am coming to the conclusion its between 30-35 per hour.
    Last edited by linestudent; 12-04-2009 at 01:17 AM.

Thumbs up

where in michigan do you live? What local did you apply for with ALBAT? I am from michigan and went through a program like that in Ohio where I got all my certs and 20 credits toward a engineering degree. There is just no where in Michigan to work in this industry right now. There are actually posts on here I thought I read sayin consumers are going to be doing more layoffs soon. I have tried the U.P. and all types of contractors in michigan I actually live in a municipal and that is hopeless. You can forget DTE you can't even get passed a receptionist to talk to someone. I dont know where you are applyin but your gonna need to work outta state. If you are close to Oh like your better off trying stuff there. They seem to have more work (at least more than MI) After going through that program I applied for ALBAT and had my interview with the toledo local and was ranked #3 and hopefully will be getting hooked up with a contractor by january. It took me about a 1 1/2 to get to this point now so don't give up it will take time. ALl said and done I would stay in school and keep applying EVERYWHERE. LIke you said at least you will have a degree in your hands. Good luck

i live near saginaw. the program im in works directly with consumers energy, they work with a couple other places as well (i'm not sure of the name, its like hti or something) tose jobs are mostly out of state. i applied and interviewed in indiana. at the time i didn't have anything, like any credits from school or any type of experience (actually i still don't have anything yet that will help) so i got put on the list at about 80. im trying to get into the climbing class at my school currently so i can upgrade my info at albat, but there is a backup. in the meantime i've been taking any classes i can get that will go toward my program. next semester i'll be taking elect. math 1, and rigging, as well as some others that are unrelated. i just keep taking any classes i can toward my program and fill in the rest of my schedule with stuff to get an associates. i'm hedging my bets, i'm gonna try to get a degree, so i can work in (not sure the exact job title) the distribution in case things don't work out. it's real hard all over, i just am trying to find the best and fastest way to get an apprenticeship.

Quote Originally Posted by glennk View Post
    where in michigan do you live? What local did you apply for with ALBAT? I am from michigan and went through a program like that in Ohio where I got all my certs and 20 credits toward a engineering degree. There is just no where in Michigan to work in this industry right now. There are actually posts on here I thought I read sayin consumers are going to be doing more layoffs soon. I have tried the U.P. and all types of contractors in michigan I actually live in a municipal and that is hopeless. You can forget DTE you can't even get passed a receptionist to talk to someone. I dont know where you are applyin but your gonna need to work outta state. If you are close to Oh like your better off trying stuff there. They seem to have more work (at least more than MI) After going through that program I applied for ALBAT and had my interview with the toledo local and was ranked #3 and hopefully will be getting hooked up with a contractor by january. It took me about a 1 1/2 to get to this point now so don't give up it will take time. ALl said and done I would stay in school and keep applying EVERYWHERE. LIke you said at least you will have a degree in your hands. Good luck

If you want check out the school I went to its called COLT at marion technical college. They are real good and they are there to make lineman not just get a check. The class I was in are on U tube also just type in marion technical lineschool 09 that should put you to a link

Default Gotta love MI

Well I have applied for everything in and out of MI. I just graduated from SLTC 6 months ago, and Just started to land interviews. I'm 27 and starting to wonder if SLTC was the smart choice. Some employers want to see if you have climbed, and how far up you have been. I dont know if you have a class A CDL or not, but in linework it is just about a must. Anyway keep sending your resume' out to everyone even if they dont advertise that they are hiring. Keep your head up and be prepared to move! Apprentice Lineman jobs are out there, just not many in MI. And as far as ALBAT goes I think its good to send in your APP. Just dont get your hopes up. If you do get an interview, be ready to take a pre-employment test just to see if you get a second interview. Hey Michigan is a great place to live, but crappy place to find work! THANKS GRANDHOLM! Anyway good luck man.

6. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Any updates on this?