Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Featured Sponsor

[QUOTE=topgroove;73514]thanks timber bitch for comparing the statistics.

i really like that you seem to think that I and Timberhitch are the same. so no I didn't change my username. you seem to be fixated again, your comment really does show that you have more time than brains. we are talking about LIVES here you idiot not just numbers. look back and count the number of lives lost. it does not matter where they worked but that they did not go home. your defense to these numbers is that they were from different companies or countries, i feel sorry for you in that you seem to have lost the focus on safety and turned this into a vendetta. oh well,
    try to remember that the person flinging mud gets muddy too.

stay safe

2. Default

MI-Lineman
    i have to agree with you that this is not a union or non union issue. and just to let you know i don't work for Pike and i don't hate the union. i do on the otherhand get tired of union radicals saying accidents only happen to non-union contractors. there is enough information on this site alone to back this up. i also agree with you comment on feeding horses, from looking at the posts made by top-smooth he must make at least 4 trips to the barn a day.

Lets see you post as IBEW? at 8:07 and than at 8:13 you post as timber hitch Both usernames have a join date DEC. 09 both are pro pike. You are a liar and an imposter. You turned this into a Union non-union thing. There's plenty of non-union hands on this board, funny thing is none of them have anything good to say about Pike Electric

A Pike crew was pulling a pole yesterday when one of their employees was injured. As was told to me, the cable sling was put on the pole too low. The pole came out pretty easy and when the butt of the pole was about 2' off the ground, the groundman informed the operator to open the pole claws. When the claws were opened, the pole was actually top heavy and came down on top of the groundhand. The way I understand it is that the pole fell across his shoulder, breaking it, and knocking the man to the ground, where he also recieved 3 boken ribs and a punctured lung. As the top of the pole hit the ground, it bounced and the safety latch on the winch line hook broke. Then, out came the cable sling with the whole weight of the pole landing on the mans leg, between his knee and hip, crushing everything in that leg. I hear that he will go thru multiple surgeries. None of this has been confirmed yet.

We all should be plenty aware of the procedure to lower a pole that is already in the pole claws. Maybe some of us have not ever handled a pole in that kind of situation before or maybe we just go into plain ol' brain fade. Whatever the reason, when you have a pole standing straight up in the air and you want to release the pole claws from it, push the butt of the pole away from the truck, (i.e. pushing the top half of the pole against the tip of the boom) and see if you can hold it there without a whole lot of effort. If you can't, you better bet that some re-rigging is gonna be needed. If you can hold it there, keep it in that spot and let the operator open those claws slowly. After the claws are open, slowly back the butt of the pole towards the truck again until you have complete control of the butt from the ground. NEVER ASSUME!

5. Default

mr. grove
    maybe i have taken you the wrong way in our previous posts. This kind of information is what we all need. your explaination of how to avoid such incident could be helpful to some of the young men coming up in this trade. union or not. also i do walk in your shoes everyday, also we may have worked side by side. i usually hit national grid property ever year

answer me this question... How many steps can a regulator raise or lower primary voltage.

7. Default

only seen them go half way around!

OK I'm wrong... you do know linework. I'm not a union radical and have nothing against non-union lineman. I do have a problem with them if they cross a picket line like Pike does. I have a big problem with companies that consistently puts apprentices in the primary alone. I've been a lineman for twentyone years and never have I or anyone I've worked with ever gotten hurt. I've seen plenty of crazy $hit over the years where the potential for injury was there. This last fatality at pike with Mr Vaughn was the straw that broke the camels back. Over the last ten years on this board we've seen fatality after fatality involving young apprentices at Pike. The killing has got to stop. Untill Eric Pike gets on this board and explains to all of us how he will stop the fatalities I will continue to blast Pike relentlessly.

9. Default

i understand, i have the same agenda but mine is with all contractors and utilities. i am still young i have only been in the biz 16 short years i too have sen some nasty distasteful things come out of both sides. we really should be just one side in safety. the reason i usually bash the union side is because they give the most grief to the non-union guys. i work non-union and proud to say that every piece of food and every stich of my 3 childrens clothes has come from it. where i came up the only union jobs was AEP and they just now started hiring. and to be honest i seen more un-safe acts by there lineman than any non-union company. i personnally know the lineman in ohio that tried to change cutouts on cat bank in leathers well actually he had on black mechanic gloves. just today i seen Asplundh crew installing lighting arrestors on 4 kv with no cover, had primary pushed up with bare boom, had sleeves on with leathers gloves, and ground hand under him driving g rod with leathers, no road signs, and no flaggers

Featured Sponsorr

your both wrong...

and your both right...

32... 16 up 16 down usually between 8 and 10%

theres also auto boosters

they are regulators too...

they have 4 steps and only go up...

you guys wanna fight over petty shit... hey thats fine by me I do it too...

but come on there are apes reading this shit

for what it's worth...

Edge