Default Continuous Chest Compression CPR - Mayo Clinic Presentation

Featured Sponsor

Continuous Chest Compression CPR - Mayo Clinic Presentation

It's an interesting technique, but what's the bet that if you did it in a public area, everyone would start telling you that you were doing it wrong.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

To me it is a relief, being certified I always knew if I had to use it it would only be family, friends or coworkers. There is no way I will give mouth to mouth to John Q. Public. So if whomever wants to tell me how to do it they can jump in and put their lips on a stranger's.

Post Continuous Compression

Our Cooperative teaches the "Medic First Aid Program" which is traditional CPR. However this last fall when we had our refresher course they are now teaching that after you determine there is no pulse IF you DO NOT have a mouth shield to use Continuous Compression CPR with no breaks for breaths at a pace of 100 compressions per minute. If you do have a mouth shield use standard CPR and an AED. (Our company has one AED with each crew. Servicemen and Apparatus who normally work alone do not carry one. There is one extra AED for "temporary crews".)

Quote Originally Posted by Highplains Drifter View Post
    To me it is a relief, being certified I always knew if I had to use it it would only be family, friends or coworkers. There is no way I will give mouth to mouth to John Q. Public. So if whomever wants to tell me how to do it they can jump in and put their lips on a stranger's.
    So if you were getting your automobile serviced and the mechanic got shocked from a defective vehicle lift you'd just watch him die?
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

the thinking behind this is there is enough oxygen in the blood and you need to get it circulating until the EMS people get on sceene. Many times EMS are able to restore a pulse and get the patient to a trama unit. unfortunatly the damage is done and the brain stem is the only part of the brain functioning. the outcome is never good. The more oxygen rich blood you can get moving around the better. If you've ever been in a real situation like this you know it extreamly shocking. The victim usually has blood or vomit in the mouth and bodily fluids are everywhere. its nothing like the classroom training at all.

7. Default Chest Compressions

The EMTS in our area have been using chest compressions only for two years now and the success rate has really improved. The Dr. that promoted this technique was in our area and unfortunately killed in a chopper accident. I think the survival rate went from 12 percent to something like 30 percent. I probably got those numbers wrong but great improvement was realized. The red cross still refuses to teach it. Why I don't know.

I wonder if the red cross won't adopt the new method because they don't think it's been proven yet. It does sound like it's being proven.

www.bigclive.com

Default chest compressions

Featured Sponsorr

In our class last year it was the Red Cross and they promoted chest compressions only. Said that if we had the mouth guards that we could us them if we felt comfortable. Other wise just do compressions.