Thread: linemans work

Default linemans work

Featured Sponsor

the utility i work for has slowly been handing over the work we do as lineman to contractors. i don't mean contract lineman (we also have those working in our area), but construction laborers. now, everybody bitches when contract lineman work in our area (they are taking our work!!!) but none of our lineman complain when construction laborers are called to dig hand dig holes, spot our poles, dig up to move riser pipes, etc. all these jobs used to be done by lineman and i for one would rather see contract lineman do this work rather than construction laborers. i don't feel as though we should ever give up work regardless of how dirty or time consuming it may be. linework should be done by linemen.

I see the same attitude where I work. The union complains about the linemen who work for contractors taking their work, but they are very quick to call for a contractor (non-union at that) to come help them dig a hole.... Work is work, and we should all want to do it all if we don't want to lose it.

Personally I think utilities should do all their own work... doesn't bother me to pick up a shovel. I can see using contractors when theirs an excess amount of work. I do hate working underground, bending over constantly wiping your hands from the ky when terminating, but I'll still do it.

Looks like the big utility trend is to get rid of crews and keep only the servicemen.

It is a practice every where, driven by lowing labor costs, some times it works some times it is more costly.

One other thing it also shifts liability to some one else for damages that might occur, we are short handed in most of our areas, and some times the only help you can find is a local plumber with a backhoe. THe same plumber has a Vac trailer that we are using more and more. No more worry of hitting fiber optic, gas lines, catv and such. then we back fill with foam, we are even using it to trench in sec. ug.

progress, man, ain't that some shit. i thought progress meant you were moving foward. guess i'll just keep goin to work as long as they keep paying me. my problem is corprate capitalism and greed don't do it for me. it pisses me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    That's a GREAT "concept" dallas.

And I believe it right along with ya. CAUSE, that's the way I was raised. We did EVERYTHING in our Muni utility. Simple as that It was our city. Dist, URD, Trans. Maint? We did it all....back in 72. When you could hire Linemen, and make apprentices.

Then in 74 I think it was, PROGESS started to happen. We needed a 69KV Tie Line to another Utility...25 miles away.
    Well, in order for us to "do what we did", AND get the tie line built in the timeframe, our city had to bring in Contractors. Don't really remember if they were union or not...don't matter.

Bottom line nowdays my man....Money and Politics.

What I see, correct me if I'm wrong....Utilities, and Corporations, want as LITTLE Labor on their payrolls as possible. They don't want MORE Employees. More wages, more bennies...more "problems".

Contractors are just the "cheaper way out for them". It's all "Profit Math" man. It's Capitalism. The most for the least.

The Utilites and Corps are "slimin down". Trouble crews, short crews, tranny maint crews....just the way it is.

The Rest? They'll bring in Contractors. Sorry...it's just "good business". AND...it ain't gonna change.

Just as a "little example", back in 98 I think it was, FPL had done basically NO maintenance on their system here in Central Florida for YEARS! Just "fix it, and build new stuff". After YEARS of complaints from customers, the govt regulatory commission stepped in, and TOLD FPL...You WILL bring in Contractors to fix your shit system and Cut your outages.

I think 96-98 was the start of that "corporate" mentality on Labor. It's just cheaper for us as a corporation or utility, to keep minimal employees, and just bring in Contractors. Preferably on "unit work".

It's unfortunately just "Progress" man...for better or worse.
    Yes sir your right, it's a concept and for me a dream that won't be reality. My grandfather taught me work ethic, I guess corporate money makers where taught profit.

Corporate money makers put politicians in office

yeah corporate America has been great to the citizens of this country. almost every manufacturing job in this country has been outsourced overseas while those same companies enjoy huge taxbreaks. your favorite company walmart is a fantastic community sponcer selling their chinese crap and paying $7.00 an hour wages all while driving the mom and pop business's under. now no americans have cash no ones buying their crap, no wonder 11,000 minimum wage jobs will be lost.

I do get it, i just don't much like what i get. you say democrats and their policies are the problem, i say both parties are the same. bought and paid for by the super rich of this country (and possibly by the super rich of many forgein countries). the republicans will take your money and the democrats will spend it. i understand that corporations need to make money but in the past they made it by at least having a worthwhile product. now all they sell you is smoke and mirrors. used to be, up till 30-40 years ago they understood the middle class workforce at least had to make enough money to buy the products that were produced. now they want to lend you the money for imaginary products that really don't exist. they charge intrest fees and penalties that would make a loan shark blush. the money skimmed off by ceo's to keep the most "talent" at the top could pay the salaries of an army of talented blue collar workers. american workers want to work and produce high quality products (things you can hold in your hand) but the money grabbers at the top are not satisfied with an honest profit. they want more and are willing to f*** their own mothers to get it. thats not capitalism thats criminal.

10. Default Not Makin' Sense

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    Capitalism my friend, is why you have the great job you do.
    Ya don't get it. It's a "catch 22".

Beat the shit out of "corporate" greed as you call it, and "corporate" will just "tuck in", weather the storm, cut jobs...scale back...and wait.....

You hate "Corporate Capitalism and their Greed" in America so much?
    Corporation's pursuit of PROFIT is what has made America the country it IS...or was. And it IS...or was...what MADE this country what it "Was".

YOU ARE, and can be PAID...as good as you ARE in your job.

Democrat beliefs, of rewarding and helping Those that DO NOT work and have the values and morals to contribute to our American society are why this country is what it is today.
    Sorry...in Capitalism...there will be "setbacks"...Shit, will fall by the wayside.

Sorry. If you can't afford to buy a house...then you WORK until you CAN afford to buy a house.
    You DON'T LOWER the Standards to allow people to buy a home they can't in anyway afford.
    Ya just don't DO that shit!!

And THAT's what democrats did. You blame "coroprate greed" for the problems of america today?

I Blame...democrat controlled congress, for lowering the STANDARD for people who don't deserve it. AND...MAKING the banking industry, give loans to these people.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMnSp4qEXNM&NR=1

Ya ARE what ya are.

I do NOT support Lowering of Standards in America, to help people that don't utilize the Opportunities this Great Country provides.
    I don't support lowering standards in America any more than you Mr. Rat but previously you said this began around 1998 and has continued ever since. Seems to me there was a quasi- conservative in the White House for 8 years recently, and things have gone from bad to worse in the utility industry, with deregulation being the main culprit. I'm all for capitalism but I just can't take thes phony know-nothings and their lies. I earn every penny they pay me. First Energy has murdered 3 human beings in the last 18 months so that their CEO can rake in his multi million dollar bonus. My life is worth more than that.