Thread: storm work

Default storm work

Featured Sponsor

anyone out there know about some of the employment postings i've seen recently about contractors hiring linemen to do callouts on large storms around the country? i've heard of an outfit called city lights and seen a couple of other outfits advertise. are you employed when there is no storm work available? are these union or non-union contractors? when you get the call to travel do you work under the agreement of the local hands, or do you negotiate your payscale with the contractor? are travel expenses to do this work tax deductible? are there different rates if you get benefits or not? what would be the benefit of this arrangement compared to just calling the hall in the affected areas?

City Lights is a Union inside contractor in the Boston area. They also have a group of linemen that chase storms, but that's about the extent of their outside construction for now. Pretty decent equipment, Usually go on storm with 104 scale, but when the storm work is done, you are done. Maybe it will change in the future. They could be a great company for linework if they made the effort. Excellent safety record on storm. As far as the other contractors you are referring to, can't answer that.
    Living my life and loving it!!!

thanks for your input. city lights is the only one i know of by name but i've heard there are a couple more out there. anybody?

Default Storm work

Featured Sponsorr

If you go to your local IBEW hall you can get a tramp guide from them. It is a book with all of the halls around the country, address's, phone #s. You can call the construction local's where the storms are and they will likely put you to work if you have an A card and their books are clear. Good luck and work safe!